• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sam By Cree

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I always wonder why something like the Cree hasn't succeeded. Likely underfunding due to the various cost of scale factors. The expectation that very few people would want one, I would guess. The sam-cree was expected to be around $10K in USD. Being electric the range would have been less than stellar and top speeds not impressive. The Sparrow in the US was much more capable, but also suffered from low investment because it was conceived at low production volumes making it very expensive. Add a little mis-management and you have the recipe for failure.

With the Elio as an example, all of that can easily change in Europe.
This is why I like the Elio, conceived from the get-go with the right targets in mind. JMHO
Elio should consider that market fairly soon, before the concept obtains full realization by competitors.
220px-Cree_SAM.jpg

Fuel there is twice the price it is in the USA. But an Eu-Elio would compete with public transportation. An odd thought to a western US person like myself.

Last edited:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The styling on the Cree and Sparrow were not appealing to the masses at $10K and lacked stability, safety ratings, and funding based on limited interest & demand.......interesting but no Elio. Although I would have bought one for the fun.......same reason I'm buying the Elio..........and the Lit C-1.........pure driving fun during retirement.

Both the Elio & the C-1 will be in extremely high demand in the European markets.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The styling on the Cree and Sparrow were not appealing.......interesting but no Elio.
Both the Elio & the C-1 will be in extremely high demand in the European markets.
Electric is a big draw back . Most have figured out it just don't pay just like hybrid don't .

Agreed on all points above. The grill and width of the Cree, the wheelbase and width of the Sparrow, all non-starters for heavy freeway use. And then the crash safety. In the US if it ain't freeway ready and safe, it's limited to a niche.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric is a big draw back . Most have fiif u gured out it just don't pay just like hybrid don't .
if u look back through the development of the automobile, every form and fuel has been tried and nothing proved as economical as the gasoline engine, so far. the amount of energy contained in a gallon of gasoline can't be beat, as far production, infrastructure distribution, storage, and consumption. the only improvement left in the development is how to get more than about 25% of that gallon to the drive wheel!

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric never takes into the true cost of the charging. It also never really address the issue of replacement batteries .
I know two that owned The Toyota ones and when the batteries would not hold a full charge anymore it cost them more than all of the gas they tough they save and then some.

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric never takes into the true cost of the charging. It also never really address the issue of replacement batteries .
I know two that owned The Toyota ones and when the batteries would not hold a full charge anymore it cost them more than all of the gas they tough they save and then some.
yeah smitty, i built most of an electric mc and stopped when i found i couldn't register it. on a 48vdc system, the range would have been 18 to 20 miles between charges, which was just enough for my short commute at the time. all that weight from lead acid batteries and so little distance. i can believe a lightweight high current battery can be built but probably not in my life time. short duration missions can still enjoy the benifits of electric power but the freedom to hit the highway for the long trips isn't here yet. this is probably why the elio is so appealing. more comfortable than a mc and better gas mileage. and your pax doesn't effect your steering track by looking around your helmet to see ahead. which just gave me the thought of a simple periscope to be able for the rear pax to see just above the drivers head without having to pierce the roof. it could be mounted to the rear of the head rest with hook and loop material and be adjusted for front seat adjustment compensation.

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think the Cree Sam is pretty neat. It has a plastic body and looks like it would be great in cities and small towns.
[Broken External Image]
Friends Of Sam.

I wonder if one could extend the design farther back so one could use a scooter engine and transmission? It could be a cabin scooter? (just thinking out loud).

Last edited:

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Except for me, I tradded it in just before they went bad. :-) . We'll see what happens with this PriusC.
On the horizon is batteries with better life and lower cost, but the Elio is a more likely bet :-)

Top Bottom