• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sam By Cree

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I wonder if a fuel cell - like one from Intelligent Energy - would make it more practical?
This is one big reason I like EV drive, flex fuels. First EV is very efficient at high AND low outputs. (85-98%) The problem is that generating and storage is not. (7% combined) Still if you get to charge at home at night (and not too many people are doing it), that can make up for a lot.
However, there isn't much reason you can't have different forms of generation. Ideally if an EV platform was modular in the right way, you could swap out your battery pack for a fuel cell, even different types of fuel cell, or to a generator for CNG, Propane, Diesel, petrol, etc. Or some mix that suits your needs. A half-sized battery pack and a small top-off fuel cell, for example. All this while keeping the same basic drive train.
Anyway, that is possible in the kind of spaces I put in my Atlantric. It was just a by-product of making the body a full streamliner shape. I'm not sure how I'll continue on the project, but flexible fuel is a possible goal.
One of the things I did back in the early 80's was multi-fuel carburation. (SAE paper 1984) It was a system added to the top of the carburetor. So you could switch-in-route from petrol to gaseous fuels, in this case a mix of propane and CNG in the same tank. It would run on cheaper CNG until that ran out then the liquid propane would start to boil, and you'd run on that. A feed-back ZOx sensor would signal to adjust for the differences in the fuels.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Electric never takes into the true cost of the charging. It also never really address the issue of replacement batteries .
I know two that owned The Toyota ones and when the batteries would not hold a full charge anymore it cost them more than all of the gas they tough they save and then some.
Choosing to drive an EV isn't a choice that's made because it's cheaper or even the same cost as gas........it's more about the technology, performance, and environmental factors........reducing the dependence on oil imports. The EV is certainly not for everybody but the current technology that will 3x battery range and lower cost will make it a better option for many. I'm hoping for an Elio EV in a couple years @ $11,800........475 mpgE.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Choosing to drive an EV isn't a choice that's made because it's cheaper or even the same cost as gas........it's more about the technology, performance, and environmental factors........reducing the dependence on oil imports.
One of the biggest arguments you can get in automotive design, really is about goals. People argue left and right about the various features, but never quite connect that what is really different are the goals. No better place to find that dis-connect than the EV.
Anyway, up to now, most typically, just switching to EV, the change from mpg to mpgE is about double, and typically based on the relative price of energy for the source involved.
I do also expect in the near future to see lower initial cost and nX increases in range due to upgraded batteries. But also I expect increases in the life cycle expectancy, (how many recharges).
For all improvements, a great product is when the monthly cost, based on a vehicle loan and expected life, compares favorably to a standard vehicle.
When that happens then more people can afford it, and then a positive impact will be found for the environment and oil independence.
I do believe we actually are past the preverbal 'Peak Oil' event. But the real issue that will affect us is when demand can not be met at affordable prices. The recession has simply delayed that crossover point. When is that crossover? Look at the charts then make your guess. That's all anyone has, is just a guess. This is a big reason to like the Elio, it delays or softens that crossover.

Attachments

• 4-11.gif
    4-11.gif
    41.2 KB · Views: 255
  • fepch3.jpg
    fepch3.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Top Bottom