• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seating For 3

Would it be more useful/smart for it to have seating for two in the back for kids and pets an so on

• Total voters

dgruis

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My smart is 3 cylinder and for 3 years I have calculated a 8% to 9% decrease in mpg when I haul a second passenger. Additional options add weight and decrease mpg. I am a motorcycle lover, and the current Elio is basically a more aerodynamic, all-weather motorcycle.

As more and more options are added, Elio would become nothing more than a traditional car.

Mark Ambrose

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to want to make this vehicle into something it's not. Any modification of the Elio from it's base concept would be counter productive. 3 seats, 4 seats, extra doors, etc would make it just another car competing with the likes of VW, KIA and others. There are already 4-wheel, 5 passenger cars out there in the $11K range. It wouldn't take much for Elio to reach that plateau and then the whole purpose would be lost. If you want to take your wife, the dog and the kids this isn't the vehicle for you.

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A lot of people seem to want to make this vehicle into something it's not. Any modification of the Elio from it's base concept would be counter productive. 3 seats, 4 seats, extra doors, etc would make it just another car competing with the likes of VW, KIA and others. There are already 4-wheel, 5 passenger cars out there in the $11K range. It wouldn't take much for Elio to reach that plateau and then the whole purpose would be lost. If you want to take your wife, the dog and the kids this isn't the vehicle for you.
I have to agree with you Mark...unfortunately, like one thread has stated, this blog is getting weak.
Ideas are one thing, but redesign basically gives way to ...then you don't want this vehicle.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If you want to make it a 3 person vehicle, what you'd need is the 2 people up front for vehicle safety and stability (center of gravity needs to be in front 40% of vehicle for a 2F/1R "reverse" trike). So, a very intimate bench seat up front and a small "jump seat" for a petite person in back would be the right recipe.

I think it's possible is the front bench seat is 35" wide--for best friends, spouses, close family only. Actually, I wish the bench seat would make a comeback. I think seats have turned into these ridiculously heavy, complicated captain's chairs that keeps you isolated from your passengers. Give me a cloth (split) bench seat with good ventilation and grip, with manually adjustable lumbar support, and I'd love it.

But then the Elio would have to grow in girth even more when it's already approaching portly dimensions...not good for the goal of good fuel economy.

My personal goals is 75 mpg at 75 mph for $7,500 with all the features I need. It'd be pretty hard to cram the Elio's design to make it now fit my envelope with room for 3 people. Maybe on the 2nd or 3rd generation it could be possible if the demographics were there to buy it.

Snick

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Would that end up looking something like this?

indianfamily6bike.jpg

Here's the weird thing: it's weird that WE think this is a funny way to travel. This family looks extremely happy and healthy. They're adorable. Billions of people get around like this everyday all over the world. It only looks unsafe to YOU because you think they are sharing the road with huge dumptrucks and buses and semi-trucks. But they are only going 20 mph and sharing the road with other scooters.

Only in America do we insist on driving alone in a 7500 pound behemoth that could crush a house! That is ridiculous!

I think the Autocycle is the perfect balance 'sweet spot' we need.

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's the weird thing: it's weird that We think this is a funny way to travel. This family looks extremely happy and healthy. They're adorable. Billions of people get around like this everyday all over the world. It only looks unsafe to YOU because you think they are sharing the road with huge dumptrucks and buses and semi-trucks. But they are only going 20 mph and sharing the road with other scooters.

Only in America do we insist on driving alone in a 7500 pound behemoth that could crush a house! That is ridiculous!

I think the Autocycle is the perfect balance 'sweet spot' we need.

I have a website you should look at and then tell me that it's "healthy" to load a whole family on to scooter or motorcycle.
But I do agree that the autocycle is the ideal vehicle for me.

P.S. your not ready for the website. :p

Top Bottom