• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sema Show 2014

Florida Guy

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you have the seat racked down to accommodate your height? My 6'3", 285 pound buddy found it very roomy with plenty of headroom.

Regarding refitting the rear seat -- remember what you saw was a prototype. The gas tank is under the seat, so it's not just a question of a little padding here and there. Addressing that has implications that it's impractical to deal with in a touring prototype, but will be addressed for production. The rear headroom issue likewise can't be dealt with in the prototype you saw (called the P4), but absolutely will be addressed in the production version.

It's also worth remembering that 95% of American driving is done with 1 person in the car. While it will accommodate two OK, it's not intended to take two people on extended trips (limited luggage capacity). So that may figure into your decision whether or not to go with Elio. For many of us it's the perfect bop-around-or-take-moderate-trips-alone car, but it won't haul the family to the beach.

In any event, welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.
When I got into the back seat the guy at the booth was with me....he made no mention of adjusting the seat so my head was not tilted as it hit the roof. His only comment was that the production model will have 2" more headroom. It is precisely because each change effects other systems that makes it important to see those things fixed before commitment. It may not be possible to make the operating change once they actually try to do it. Then compromises off goals happen. Will it happen in regards to performance or economy...I have no idea.

So while most driving is done with no passengers ( just look at the cars on the road when you drive to see something about that percentage) for me I would not consider a car that could not accomodate 2 people comfortably.Therefore until I can actually sit in a car that meets that need I will not commit to buy it. There is a BIG difference between talking about a car that can "haul the family to the beach" and a car that can transport 2 where ever they need to go.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I thought everyone would like to see the booth that Elio had at the huge SEMA show in Las Vegas this week.
Florida Guy, welcome to the Elio family! Your right that back seat was a bit stiff when I sat in it, back at the end of August. :confused: I too was told it will be a much better seat in the production vehicle. For us it's not that big of a deal as it will be the commuter car for the wife. If we get a second one about the only time the back seat will be used is when I take the 3 amigos ( see avatar ) down to the dog park and then it will be folded down. The mirrors will be larger as well ( or so we're told ) only time will tell. Can't blame you for waiting, as many are but some of us just fell in love with the it and the idea of an inexpensive, high mileage, safe vehicle to get around in and we were willing to go " all in " from the get go!:)

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When I got into the back seat the guy at the booth was with me....he made no mention of adjusting the seat so my head was not tilted as it hit the roof. His only comment was that the production model will have 2" more headroom. It is precisely because each change effects other systems that makes it important to see those things fixed before commitment. It may not be possible to make the operating change once they actually try to do it. Then compromises off goals happen. Will it happen in regards to performance or economy...I have no idea.

So while most driving is done with no passengers ( just look at the cars on the road when you drive to see something about that percentage) for me I would not consider a car that could not accomodate 2 people comfortably.Therefore until I can actually sit in a car that meets that need I will not commit to buy it. There is a BIG difference between talking about a car that can "haul the family to the beach" and a car that can transport 2 where ever they need to go.
The back seat doesn't adjust. The roof will be raised in the production version. Lear is making the seats in the production vehicle. The front seat will be a Mustang seat, the steering wheel will be from a Camaro. (Jerome told me at the Balloon Fiesta). Lear makes those seats. The rear production seat will, of course, be special for the Elio. The front seat is pretty standard though.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm planning to go up to jacksonville to sit in one- Nov 21,22,23. have you put up any $ or just browsing?? I got here end of August, don't know how much info you got, but briefly - the store will be close to us- Ft lauderdale- if it happens, also plan to go to factory to pick it up and drive it home. Maybe see up in Jacksonville
I have not put money down now but I am seriously considering doing that. I won't be making the trip up to Jacksonville since I got to sit in the prototype yesterday in Vegas. I honestly expected a bit more. The driving postion feels good although the outside rear mirrors are too small to be as useful as we will need in order to see out back. The rear seat is a serious problem area! In the display at SEMA it was rock hard and we were told that would be improved for sure. The headroom was lacking too, I am 6'2" so it is a concern. My head was on the roof, again I was told that there would be 2" more room on the production model. These promises are nice but I would think that at this point both the back seat problems would have been fixed before going to such a well attended show as SEMA. The car did seem like it would be a bunch of fun to drive....sort of the safest motorcycle on the planet and even air conditioned like we have to have in South Florida. I need more details on the driveline before commiting any cash, can they meet their objectives of mpg and performance? Time will tell but I was concerned that what they were showing at SEMA was not acceptable as is.

Safest motorcycle on the planet!!-BINGO and w/ a.c. fills a need that's been difficult to fill after 50yrs on bikes, thanks for the info, as you can see, there are many overprotecting members, who quickly come to the defense of our baby!!

Top Bottom