• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

JDub

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I like your reply , it is correct and you explained it well. I might add when at the gas station pumps, you will have the door on the opposite side of the pumps. That gives plenty of space to open the door without concern of hitting the pumps or pump curbing. A win, win. The Elio engineering is just grand!
Terrence
With front wheel placement I don't believe you will be that close when you pull up. My vote would be for the door side as during the winter I want to get back into the warm car as quickly as possible. JMO

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I LOVE the Elio the name is an inside joke between me and my daughter.

And i have a honda fit with the gas filler on the left side and my wheels are flush with the door, never once have I hit a gas pump. With the stance of this car it would be all but impossible.

As far as safety is concerned for road side, you still have to exit stage left.
(Never ran out of gas aside from once I borrowed a friends car and he didn't tell me the gauge was not working)

Bottom line filler needs to be on the left.

NOLIKEIT

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
One more thing. About the routing the lines around the door, just use the non door side for the lines. I'm sure the gas tank takes up the whole width so changing the gas outlet side wouldn't be a task for a rocket scientist (they would over think it). Just get Bubba he can show you how to do it just like slingblade lol.

eddie66

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I read on facebook one of the Elio reps replys to a question as to why the gas cap was on the opposite side of the vehicle and his reply was simply that it saves Elio $10 a vehicle in pipe. Makes sense to me when they'r trying to keep the price at $6800.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe it's the same in N.J.

You are correct. While these laws were once much more common New Jersey and Oregon are the only states left where pumping your own gas is illegal. For various reasons they failed to change the law years ago when everyone else did and now very few politicians are willing to pass a bill which effectively kills thousands of jobs in their states.

Top Bottom