• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
just when u thought there wasn't anything else that could be said about the fuel fill position, i ran across this.
Gas Tanks: Why Aren’t All Fuel Doors on the Same Side?
  • September 9, 2014
  • By Mac Demere
  • Quick: On which side is your vehicle’s fuel door?
  • Must you look at the little diamond-shaped arrow on the fuel gauge EVERY time you fill up to know which side holds the fuel filler? Have you ever pulled to the fuel island to discover you’re on the wrong side? Did you utter bad words before or after you said, “Why don’t they put fuel doors on the same side of every car?!?”
The answer to that question is complicated, if not convoluted.

Based on my research into the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, I came to the conclusion (a conclusion later supported by my contacts at both the Ford Motor Company and Nissan North America) that no U.S. government regulation concerns which side on which the fuel door must be positioned. Much to the chagrin of many motorists, the fuel door can be on either side.

With no legal or marketing motivation, and scant ownership enjoyment implications, car-company engineers are free to place fuel doors on whichever side offers the easiest packaging, according to Ford spokesman Mark Schirmer. He added that there’s not enough room — and no demand — for dual fuel doors.

Preference
Americans prefer left-mounted fuel doors, said Schirmer, referencing a Ford study. A driver’s-side fuel door makes it easier for drivers to place the car’s left fender close to fuel pump. Still, fuel door location is typically not part of the buying decision, added Schirmer.

Those in Japan, India, the United Kingdom, Australia, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and countries in southern Africa drive on the left side of the road and sit on the right side of the car, and it appears they prefer right-mounted fuel doors, given the tendencies of cra manufacturers. For at least 25 years, the conventional wisdom among auto writers has been that Europeans like right-side doors. However, when I posed this to my industry co-horts, no car company would speculate if or why that might be true.

Nissan, like most automakers, produces some vehicles with left fuel doors and some with right doors.

Reasons
“The placement of the fuel door is mainly a factor of fuel tank design, location and underbody packaging,” Nissan’s Steve Yaeger wrote in an email. “With all of the structure and components located underneath the vehicle, (engineers) would quickly encounter restrictions in trying to route the filler tube to the same side on every vehicle.”

If mechanisms such as a “big, honkin’ speaker” must be placed on the left side, engineers put the fuel door on the right, notes Schirmer.

The bottom line: Fuel door position is not a random choice, but if engineers have a good reason to place fuel doors on the right, that’s where they go.

If you can’t remember the location of your fuel door, don’t be ashamed to look at the little diamond-arrow on your fuel gauge … BEFORE you pull up to the pump.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually went out to my car and truck to see if they had the little diamond. I can't believe I've been driving my truck for 6 years and never noticed the little diamond. Yet that gas door is on the right side, left. My car does not have the little diamond and that gas door is on the right which is why every time I drive the car and pull into the gas station I'm always on the wrong side. You would think after 11 years I would have it figured out! So the Elio has it on the right side left or the wrong side right, I will still pull into the gas station on the wrong side because I can't remember shit!

Tre'

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Our Nissan Versa has the gas door on the right. Does not matter as the car is small enough that I do not worry about which side I pull up on. I can reach the spout to put gas in either way. I would imagine the Elio would be the same way. Better even as the body is narrow. I don't care where they put it as long as I get the car so I can put some in it!

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually went out to my car and truck to see if they had the little diamond. I can't believe I've been driving my truck for 6 years and never noticed the little diamond. Yet that gas door is on the right side, left. My car does not have the little diamond and that gas door is on the right which is why every time I drive the car and pull into the gas station I'm always on the wrong side. You would think after 11 years I would have it figured out! So the Elio has it on the right side left or the wrong side right, I will still pull into the gas station on the wrong side because I can't remember shit!
maybe it's an awareness issue in stead of memory. i know lots of folks who have been driving for a long time that put no cognitive effort into vehicle awareness and or even situational awareness. now fair enough if u get into a strange vehicle and not remember the gas cap when u did your walk around or guessed the wrong side if there is no diamond on the gauge, the first time u pull up to the pumps but if u continue to drive that same vehicle, then there is no excuse. too many people refuse to give driving the the focus and attention it requires to be safe, especially from the the other drivers. i treat driving the same as flying. plan before u leave the house. plan for the "what if".

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
maybe it's an awareness issue in stead of memory. i know lots of folks who have been driving for a long time that put no cognitive effort into vehicle awareness and or even situational awareness. now fair enough if u get into a strange vehicle and not remember the gas cap when u did your walk around or guessed the wrong side if there is no diamond on the gauge, the first time u pull up to the pumps but if u continue to drive that same vehicle, then there is no excuse. too many people refuse to give driving the the focus and attention it requires to be safe, especially from the the other drivers. i treat driving the same as flying. plan before u leave the house. plan for the "what if".
Goldwing06, I usually don't drive the car, I drive the truck. Hence the forgetting where the gas cap is and not so much forgetting as it is conditioning. When you pull into a gas station your brain is some what on auto pilot. Your not thinking what vehicle your driving and where's the gas cap, your thinking what pump is open, which line is shorter, why is that person in line backwards. I happen to be a very defensive and safe driver. As for the little diamond, I didn't need to know it was there. I most Likely read about it in the owners manual when I purchased my truck but as it's not an important aspect of safe driving, like some of the other gages and lights in the dash, I didn't give it a second thought. Many of us suffer from CRS ( can't remember shit ) but its usually because it's something that's not that important to us in day to day living, like the little diamond on our gas gage.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
....The bottom line: Fuel door position is not a random choice, but if engineers have a good reason to place fuel doors on the right, that’s where they go....

This is pretty much exactly what Elio Motors has told us way back in Tech Talk v9:
Why is the gas fill on the curbside?
Every little detail is evaluated to ensure we are producing the best quality vehicle within the $6800 price tag. In doing so, it was realized that to route the gas tank on the right side of the vehicle versus the left provided additional efficiencies (i.e., cost savings) due to the overall design of the vehicle.
http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=24b371802c83d81776b06aa68&id=5499e83978&e

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before filling the myriad of rental cars that I end up driving while tdy (traveling), I just look at the gas gauge and notice which way the little arrow is pointing. But then again, some people have problems using turn signals, parking between the lines, stopping at red lights,... the list goes on.

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Before filling the myriad of rental cars that I end up driving while tdy (traveling), I just look at the gas gauge and notice which way the little arrow is pointing. But then again, some people have problems using turn signals, parking between the lines, stopping at red lights,... the list goes on.

I have made an observation regarding the use of turn signals. First the price tag of the vehicle determines the availability of certain options. For example Mercedes, BMW, Jaguar, Rover, Cadillac, Lincoln etc. don't come with the turn signal option as standard, because the people who own these are more important than anyone else and shouldn't have to be bothered with putting down their latest edition Droid to signal their intentions.

We should just automatically get the HELL out of their way! :p

Same goes for parking, red lights and the rest of the list including the use of Handicapped spots and the Fire Lane etc.:(

I once told a Mercedes driver, after he cut me off three times, that "I was sorry".
"Sorry for what?" he said indignantly.
"I'm sorry you couldn't afford the deluxe model, the one with the ****ing turn signals"

Needless to say I didn't wait around for his answer! :D:D:D

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score

AMEN!!! Thank you Goldwing06, my sentiments exactly. :D

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
AMEN!!! Thank you Goldwing06, my sentiments exactly. :D
Amen brother! The only time I had real issues with the gas cap/filling up was when I had a Nissan Titan and a Mazdaspeed3.
Titan = Left/Regular unleaded
Mazda = Right/Premium only

Not a huge deal, but it took a moment of thought before pulling into the gas station. Like you said, and I think you really hit the nail on the head, people don't give driving enough focus and attention. I CONSTANTLY see people driving around at dawn or dusk with their lights off, almost invisible to others and oblivious to themselves... and don't even get me started on people that don't use their turn signals.

Top Bottom