• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

Rickb

Elio Addict
People better know if they are driving the truck or the 'motorcycle'................paying close attention and focused on driving defensively...........in a 1200# Elio..........or take a voluntary motorcyle licensing class.

Norahsbed

Elio Addict
I actually went out to my car and truck to see if they had the little diamond. I can't believe I've been driving my truck for 6 years and never noticed the little diamond. Yet that gas door is on the right side, left. My car does not have the little diamond and that gas door is on the right which is why every time I drive the car and pull into the gas station I'm always on the wrong side. You would think after 11 years I would have it figured out! So the Elio has it on the right side left or the wrong side right, I will still pull into the gas station on the wrong side because I can't remember shit!
Okay, obviously some people have a problem recognizing humor as I did earlier, recognizing sarcasm. Had this paragraph been in a Dave Berry article or an observation by Jerry Seinfeld people would have been FOTFLTAO. I apologize for having started the ranting about other drivers on the road. We all known them, we all hate them, and that's why defensive driving is so important.

Ray O

Elio Addict
I read the reason. It didn't make sense when I did.... Can Elio do a tech talk on why they couldn't put the gas cap on the safe side of the vehicle.
Yes the safe side... If you run out of gas on the highway you will be at greater risk of being sideswiped when you go to put gas in the vehicle. And the same issue will be present everytime YouTube gas in your EE, except in OR and NJ. You will have to get out on the traffic side and go around to the pump side to put gas in it, or get out on the pump side and go around to the traffic side....
Something as simple as putting gas in on the less exposed side of the vehicle and they had a 50/50 chance of making it the safer side.
Good thought

goofyone

Staff member
I read the reason. It didn't make sense when I did.... Can Elio do a tech talk on why they couldn't put the gas cap on the safe side of the vehicle.
Yes the safe side... If you run out of gas on the highway you will be at greater risk of being sideswiped when you go to put gas in the vehicle. And the same issue will be present everytime YouTube gas in your EE, except in OR and NJ. You will have to get out on the traffic side and go around to the pump side to put gas in it, or get out on the pump side and go around to the traffic side....
Something as simple as putting gas in on the less exposed side of the vehicle and they had a 50/50 chance of making it the safer side.

Good thought

Lafrisbee's argument has actually never made sense to me. I would think that having the fuel fill on the right side would be safer if you have to fill on the side of the road. I would much rather quickly open the door and run around to the right side, which is away from traffic, than stand on the left holding a plastic jug full of flammable liquid as other vehicles whiz by me.

As for filling at a station the easiest thing to do is just pull up to the pump with the fuel fill door facing the pump handle. Getting out and moving around the vehicle is not a big deal in a fuel station lot as long as you are paying attention.

In the end if this were really a major problem one side would clearly have won over the other however that has not happened so I don't believe it really matters.

Last edited:

goldwing06

Elio Addict
Goldwing06, I usually don't drive the car, I drive the truck. Hence the forgetting where the gas cap is and not so much forgetting as it is conditioning. When you pull into a gas station your brain is some what on auto pilot. Your not thinking what vehicle your driving and where's the gas cap, your thinking what pump is open, which line is shorter, why is that person in line backwards. I happen to be a very defensive and safe driver. As for the little diamond, I didn't need to know it was there. I most Likely read about it in the owners manual when I purchased my truck but as it's not an important aspect of safe driving, like some of the other gages and lights in the dash, I didn't give it a second thought. Many of us suffer from CRS ( can't remember shit ) but its usually because it's something that's not that important to us in day to day living, like the little diamond on our gas gage.
ah ha! exactly my point. the average driver is tuned in to events that are happening around them and reacting to those events, not following a plan. an example would be, if i need to gas up, i will pull into the pump line that i can be on the left side of. why is this a plan? because i already know the vehicle layout so i'm not mentally playing chess of where do i put this vehicle so i can put fuel in it. i'm simply looking for the lane at the pump that is open on the side that i need to be on. i know this sounds like a simple task but to me, driving is a lot of simple tasks that are blended together but necessary, to have a successful outcome, each and every time u use a vehicle to go from point a to point b. u might find this of interest. http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-good-life/201108/there-are-no-accidents