• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? The Gas Cap Has A Real Unmodifiable Reason To Be On The Wrong Side?

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The door and hinges over the filler cap has to cost something. Eliminate the cost of the door and put the filler under the trunk lid at the far end of the Elio. That way it's on neither side but in the middle like the typical motorcycle. Park on either side of the pump. I assume the cap is non-venting. The VW Bug had it's filler under the front hood, prevented gas being stolen.

I think they said Elio will use a gas capless system

[Broken External Image]

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is a well known fact that some people do not know right from wrong. Several have figured it out. Getting out and pumping your gas at many gas stations is hazardous because of how the people drive trying to get to a pump. The nice, correct, thing to do would be to reduce the amount of exposure to that traffic by placing the gas cap on the driver's side of the vehicle.
Btw I was especially entertained by the people that think the car is "narrow" and it is just 18" further...

If they can, and before everything is finalized they can still move the gas cap to the right side with very little problem... If it was out on the market already. I wouldn't have said a peep. Come on Paul! Each of us is going to fill gas up that thing hundreds of times throughout the time we own it. It would be nice to keep the vehicle between us and the traffic at some of these filling stations for safety's sake.
When I was learning to drive standard in the 1950s the shifter was on the column on the right side. In fact "4 on the floor" was considered a fancier, or racier improvement. LOL :) Z
Bought my first new car in 1963 and paid extra to have a Hurst 4-speed floor shift rather then the steering column mounted 3-speed

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The door and hinges over the filler cap has to cost something. Eliminate the cost of the door and put the filler under the trunk lid at the far end of the Elio. That way it's on neither side but in the middle like the typical motorcycle. Park on either side of the pump. I assume the cap is non-venting. The VW Bug had it's filler under the front hood, prevented gas being stolen.

Anyone that siphons the gas out of an Elio, will be extremely disappointed with their haul. :(

p.s. - I'm slightly stunned that there is better than 250 comments about a gas cap. You just never know which topic will take off!

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone that siphons the gas out of an Elio, will be extremely disappointed with their haul. :(

p.s. - I'm slightly stunned that there is better than 250 comments about a gas cap. You just never know which topic will take off!
With the cap less system, I understand that one of the benefits is that it is nearly impossible to siphon the fuel out.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, using the other hand to change gear isn't a big problem. It feels a little odd to begin with, but you very quickly get used to it. Because you sit in the middle of an Elio, it should feel less strange than with a four wheeler.r....
I think as with so many things these days, it's just a matter of perception. I'm sure anyone who gave it half a chance would have no problem shifting on the opposite side to whàt they are accustomed to, especially since most will be automatic transaxles anyway. You shift into drive when you leave and then back to park when you get where you're going, how freakin' hard is it to do that with the opposite hand!? I think left hand manual shift would just give my ride a little more character, not be some kind of insurmountable obstacle to driving it. BUT... in order to sell the vehicle to the greatest number of potential buyers they have to design it for that segment of the American population who thinks their left arm would fall off should they ever use it for anything more than pushing a button, and that apparently includes the acts of cranking open a window or lifting/depressing a door lock knob. Then again, this is the same population of people who will buy a car which automatically parallel parks ITSELF, thereby tacitly making the public admission, "I am such a pathetic driver that I can't be trusted with the mundane task of parking my own car and require an unthinking, glorified calculator to handle the task for which I have no aptitude and/or I am simply to apathetic to learn." Thusly, ladies and gentlemen, are we utterly STUCK with a right-hand gear shift.

lafrisbee

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here is the main point for the gas cap to be on the same side as the door....there are thousands of poorly designed gas station filling areas, and millions of poorly designed drivers using them. If the gas cap is on the other side from the door then the driver will either have to open his car door and walk around the car while fools drive by him looking for a pump that is open and not at him in the least till he gets to the other side....and if the driver puts his door side next to the pump then he has to go out in the traffic zone with the pump handle and spend even more time out there watching his backside.
There is no downside from putting the gas cap on the door side. There is a downside when putting it on the WRONG SIDE.
I would appreciate getting out of my Elio and not worrying about some fool running me over because he is checking out the Elio and not watching out for me. By having the car between me and all the idiots at the gas pumps I would have a much safer area to pump gas.

Top Bottom