• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? You Have To Provide Your Own Water Bottle For The Windshield Washer?

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
You can switch it that way, but usually increases in production costs often get pushed down to the consumers.

If we go with your example, lets say that the car actually has items that ring the car to $7500 instead of $6800....Do you really think Elio is going to eat that $700....nope.

Again, it all comes down to image. I believe one of Elio's demographics are college kids. I just graduated college and a significant majority of them are worried about looks......That's why they spend $60 on a hollister shirt when they could get about the same thing at JC Penny for $10. That is why you see many wearing "Beats by Dre" headphones. It is "cool" and makes them look cool (in their head). I AM NOT SAYING THIS IS RIGHT!.....but I know several of those kids would almost scoff at the idea of no reservoir.

Now lets say they do eat the $2 per car. I think they would be happy doing that if that meant they would several several more thousand cars. Think of when Netflix had to pay more in costs due to movie and tv rights (whatever you want to call it). They increased or planned on increasing their price quite a bit and got a backlash from it. They lost several customers over it and decided to eat some of the costs since they were going to lose more from the customers. There is a fine line on how much of the costs.

Lets say it is $8 as mentioned by someone.....that is a little over one tenth of one percent of 6800. You wouldn't notice that with any other item if it was pushed down to you.

I like any company that cuts costs, sometimes though the costs can be so little yet have horrible results. Again, if/when it is made, it will not have a water bottle type IMO.
I am beginning to think you don't understand Elio Motors. The entire car is based in three main principles, 84 mpg, $6,800 list price, 5 star crash test.

Missing ANY of these three is unacceptable in Paul's mind because that is the entire backbone of their marketing campaign.

So your talk about passing the cost on to the consumer is irrelevant. It is irrelevant in this scenario because Elio MUST hit $6,800 list price end of story. And on top of that they need to have costs low enough to where the $6,800 per car not only covers cost but also makes them money. So no matter what anyone says, at the end of the day saving $2 per car is still $500,000 per year and that's significant. Saying they would be happy to eat $2 per car is preposterous and would show a complete sign of neglect and being unprepared and unorganized on Elio's part to allow $500,000 to slip out the door.

Finally let's not act like we know for a fact a reservoir that Paul says costs $8 could even cost $2 for quantity discount. I'm sure that was already included so the $500,000 per year is actually $4 million per year. More than enough in wasteful spending to force a company to shut their doors and American jobs and American products lost once again.

EDIT: additionally, if you think thousands of people from our generation (I'm 25) is that ignorant to pass up on this vehicle for the sole reason of a reservoir, we have a lot bigger issues to worry about because that shows we don't have the intellect to continue running businesses and the government as the generation before us exits the workforce. May God have mercy on us all if that is the case.

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am beginning to think you don't understand Elio Motors. The entire car is based in three main principles, 84 mpg, $6,800 list price, 5 star crash test.

Missing ANY of these three is unacceptable in Paul's mind because that is the entire backbone of their marketing campaign.

So your talk about passing the cost on to the consumer is irrelevant. It is irrelevant in this scenario because Elio MUST hit $6,800 list price end of story. And on top of that they need to have costs low enough to where the $6,800 per car not only covers cost but also makes them money. So no matter what anyone says, at the end of the day saving $2 per car is still $500,000 per year and that's significant. Saying they would be happy to eat $2 per car is preposterous and would show a complete sign of neglect and being unprepared and unorganized on Elio's part to allow $500,000 to slip out the door.

Finally let's not act like we know for a fact a reservoir that Paul says costs $8 could even cost $2 for quantity discount. I'm sure that was already included so the $500,000 per year is actually $4 million per year. More than enough in wasteful spending to force a company to shut their doors and American jobs and American products lost once again.

EDIT: additionally, if you think thousands of people from our generation (I'm 25) is that ignorant to pass up on this vehicle for the sole reason of a reservoir, we have a lot bigger issues to worry about because that shows we don't have the intellect to continue running businesses and the government as the generation before us exits the workforce. May God have mercy on us all if that is the case.

Elio does NOT have to have 84 mpgs, 5 star test and have a price of $6800. Elio Motors themselves have said they would like to have it at $6800. So if they can't hit 6800 or only hit 80 mpgs, they wont make it....not at all.

Also you should re-read my post about sometimes companies will eat some costs if it means more in sales.

You say "let's not act like we know".....you are acting like Elio is selling 250k or 500k cars. That is not fact either. I'm not acting like I know they cost $8 or $2. I was just throwing it out there as an example.

Yes, thousands in our generation are complete dumbasses. Have you noticed how bad kids 18-25 are with finances? I have. I worked in financial aid and most kids that go to college are F'd when they come out due to school loans. (oh yea and this is from a school in southern illinois). Also, very few people know how to run a business. The masses work for the few.

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Don't forget American made.

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
A post from an average person on here? or a post from Elio? I doubt it would cost them $8 over time. Now this all depends on how many they buy.
Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. That number came from a Tech Talk email.:
Windshield Wiper Bottle

A traditional vehicle has a thick plastic windshield wiper bottle, designed to last for at least 10 years and work well at -40 F to 140 F. In addition, when you buy windshield wiper fluid, you have to pour it in (usually spilling some on your shoes), and then a little bit remains that you don’t want to throw away and you don’t want to store. The actual cost of the well-designed windshield wiper bottle in today’s vehicle costs about $8.00. The Elio system is another simple but highly effective example; there is a depression in the engine compartment to put a 1-gallon jug of wiper fluid securely in place. The cap has the hose from the wiper fluid pump in the middle so all that is needed is to open the jug and screw on the cap. The cost of the bottle is free — it is included when you buy windshield wiper fluid.[/QUOTE}
It's TechTalk #22 and the full text of it is available in the Tech Talk Archive thread - http://elioowners.com/threads/tech-talk-archive.1128/page-2

mdfb42

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio does NOT have to have 84 mpgs, 5 star test and have a price of $6800. Elio Motors themselves have said they would like to have it at $6800. So if they can't hit 6800 or only hit 80 mpgs, they wont make it....not at all.

Also you should re-read my post about sometimes companies will eat some costs if it means more in sales.

You say "let's not act like we know".....you are acting like Elio is selling 250k or 500k cars. That is not fact either. I'm not acting like I know they cost $8 or $2. I was just throwing it out there as an example.

Yes, thousands in our generation are complete dumbasses. Have you noticed how bad kids 18-25 are with finances? I have. I worked in financial aid and most kids that go to college are F'd when they come out due to school loans. (oh yea and this is from a school in southern illinois). Also, very few people know how to run a business. The masses work for the few.
How reading comprehension has failed this country. Several of your "counterpoints" were addressed already by me and if you can't do your own research(Paul himself said the 3 tiers, The Elio business model itself list 250k card, etc) and read between the lines sometimes and it needs to be spelled out for you every time, I got better things to do and will be claiming Einstein's definition of insanity.

"Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result"

Horn

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Claiming an estimate does not make it a fact.

A claim is like an expectation. I'm sure elio expected the car to be out by now.

Carolyn

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I have not read through all the pages in this thread, but I, for one, think this is a brilliant idea. First and foremost, this reduces, in a very tiny amount, the amount of plastic being used in this world, which is virtually non degradable. Second, this eliminates the partially filled bottle rattling around the trunk or in the garage. Why *not* do this? All you have to do is screw on the hose and put the bottle in the holder. Voila! Easy peasy.

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have not read through all the pages in this thread, but I, for one, think this is a brilliant idea. First and foremost, this reduces, in a very tiny amount, the amount of plastic being used in this world, which is virtually non degradable. Second, this eliminates the partially filled bottle rattling around the trunk or in the garage. Why *not* do this? All you have to do is screw on the hose and put the bottle in the holder. Voila! Easy peasy.
Hi Carolyn, welcome to the forum. I found it best to use the search to learn about the car and to keep from double posting when I first started. Don't forget to get on the map and If your Military, please stop in and introduce yourself.:)

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The water bottle doesn't bother me, but I could see i

I think what would make sense is to have the water bottle system as the bare bones model. Then any model that is more expensive have a reservoir.
I'm sure that in the options showroom, and certainly in the aftermarket, there will be a fancy bottle you can purchase to avoid that redneck look under the hood. Just off the top of my head a bottle that looks like a nitrus cylinder would be cool. How about Dom Perignon label on it? A flux capacitor water bottle? Choose your favorite sports team. There's an entire market in custom water bottles alone just waiting for THIS vehicle. No other car gives you this kind of options. They just stick you with some crappy reservoir. No STYLE!

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm sure that in the options showroom, and certainly in the aftermarket, there will be a fancy bottle you can purchase to avoid that redneck look under the hood. Just off the top of my head a bottle that looks like a nitrus cylinder would be cool. How about Dom Perignon label on it? A flux capacitor water bottle? Choose your favorite sports team. There's an entire market in custom water bottles alone just waiting for THIS vehicle. No other car gives you this kind of options. They just stick you with some crappy reservoir. No STYLE!
OOPS, forgot the most obvious one, the MONSTER energy drink bottle.

Top Bottom