• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Seriously? You Have To Provide Your Own Water Bottle For The Windshield Washer?

Kent

Elio Fan
Reaction score

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Oh, WOW! What is the hangup with that washer-bottle thing??? Are you guys for real? It's under the HOOD for cryin' out loud! Are you seriously afraid yur friends will think less of your 84 mpg car if they see a washer bottle used as the reservoir?? That's a joke right? You're just kidding.... ha-ha...... right? Guess I better find some purpose built reservoir bottles for my refrigerator before someone catches me using the milk right out of the jug. Yeah, you had me going there, I almost thought you were SERIOUS!

UCF'73

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know: Is the standard feature windshield wiper a variable intermittent wiper, or (like on my old truck) the kind that you have to turn on and off a thousand times during a light drizzle?

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know: Is the standard feature windshield wiper a variable intermittent wiper, or (like on my old truck) the kind that you have to turn on and off a thousand times during a light drizzle?
From what I understand, the windshield wiper selected is one of the few imported parts being used. It is designed and made in France and was the only one EM could find that would adequately clear the long, narrow window. I honestly don't know if we even know whether it will be intermittent. I would think so though. Do they even make them any other way now? My Camry is a 1999 and it has intermittent wipers on it so obviously they have been around for a while. If I remember correctly, my 1989 Daihatsu also had intermittent wipers on it so that covers a fairly wide price point range. :-) Z

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The British Peel P50 (possibly the smallest production car in the world) was made from 1962 to 1965.
It had something that looked like a door handle just above the windscreen.
You had to manually rotate the handle back and forth while you drove to wipe the windscreen.
Mary Anderson
dot_clea.gif

Mary Anderson patented the windshield wiper in 1905.
dot_clea.gif

anderson1.jpg
Picture: Mary Anderson
dot_clea.gif

anderson.jpg
Patent drawing
Mary Anderson's
windshield wiper
Related History

The History of the Automobile
Women Inventors
dot_clea.gif

By Mary Bellis
Prior to the manufacture of Henry Ford's Model A, Mary Anderson was granted her first patent for a window cleaning device in November of 1903. Her invention could clean snow, rain, or sleet from a windshield by using a handle inside the car. Her goal was to improve driver vision during stormy weather - Mary Anderson invented the windshield wiper.
During a trip to New York City, Mary Anderson noticed that streetcar drivers had to open the windows of their cars when it rained in order to see, as a solution she invented a swinging arm device with a rubber blade that was operated by the driver from within the vehicle via a lever. The windsheld wipers became standard equipment on all American cars by 1916.

Attachments

• dot_clea.gif
    dot_clea.gif
    985 bytes · Views: 141
  • dot_clea.gif
    dot_clea.gif
    985 bytes · Views: 152
  • dot_clea.gif
    dot_clea.gif
    985 bytes · Views: 158
Top Bottom