• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Setting Expectations?

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Point of view is everything in the Elio. As an old biker I think of it in motorcycle terms. Since it's poring rain should I take the Gold Wing or the Elio. I'm 65 and really not into getting soaked to the skin so the choice is obvious. Same thing when it's 15° and snowing or 98° with 85% humidity. If you stop thinking of the Elio as so much less than a car and start to think of it as so much more than a motorcycle it really starts to make sense. It's not a limited small car but the most versatile touring bike ever. Add in the projected 80 mpg (about twice what most big touring bikes get) and you really just sit back and say WOW.
Yup & It's fun too....:p

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't imagine they will improve the aero, but they certainly look neat! Regardless, it would be nice to know how much the MPGs drop from the body modifications.

If people are worried about "aero". Might I suggest something like a conformal fuel tank design [the bulges on the outside of the intakes]. Use them for storage, or extra fuel storage for a "one stop" trip around the world.

F-15SE-mock-up.jpg

Edit: Not that I'm biased towards F-15s :rolleyes:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If people are worried about "aero". Might I suggest something like a conformal fuel tank design [the bulges on the outside of the intakes]. Use them for storage, or extra fuel storage for a "one stop" trip around the world.

View attachment 10750

I'm certainly biased towards them. I got an "incentive flight" in one once a long, long time ago. On the Elio, they wouldn't be conformal fuel tanks though... perhaps conformal baggage tanks...

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm certainly biased towards them. I got an "incentive flight" in one once a long, long time ago. On the Elio, they wouldn't be conformal fuel tanks though... perhaps conformal baggage tanks...

That had to be a ride you'll never forget!

And yes. Baggage/cargo storage for road trips. Make them removable when you're just tooling around town or going back and forth to work. I've already worked out some ways to mount them, but will have to wait and see what I have to work with when it's sitting in my driveway.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
That had to be a ride you'll never forget!

And yes. Baggage/cargo storage for road trips. Make them removable when you're just tooling around town or going back and forth to work. I've already worked out some ways to mount them, but will have to wait and see what I have to work with when it's sitting in my driveway.
Hopefully, Paul hasn't backed off his "blind structural nuts and electrical connections every 6 inches" or whatever the distance was. That will make it at least possible to connect them securely. I see no real problem with a conformal tank-like set up other than it may make the Elio look like it's a pregnant guppy.

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For backing, I suggest drive back 2-3 inches, set emergency break, get out of car walking swiftly around entire vehicle, return to driver seat, release brake, back up 1-2 inches, repeat until satisfied.

Marshall

Elio Addict
Reaction score

View attachment 10750

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think aerodynamics at 0-100 MPH is different than aerodynamics at 200-2000 MPH. This is particularly true as you approach Mach speeds.

But all I did was think about what I'd do if I could afford to stay at Holiday Inn Express.

Top Bottom