• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Should Elio Offer An Ecu Tuned For Higher Hp?

Aviator

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I honestly had no idea how many people are so intimidated by entrance ramps. I've driven a lot of different vehicles, most of which were not rocket-sleds. Somehow I've survived 27 years of driving entrance ramps and I would not hesitate to take my severely under-powered pickup truck anywhere I need to go. Heavy commercial vehicles do not jump up to highway speeds either but they still manage to drive the freeways. When you don't have excessive power, you just don't have it. Adapt your technique and don't worry so much, it's not as difficult as it seems. Besides, even 0-60 in ten seconds is still MUCH faster than most of what I've been driving professionally and personally, and I've never crashed anything.
Fear is not an option in my home town for power. Where I live in Pittsburgh we have some sharp hair pin turns then steep uphill onramps to highways. My case in point is my 2004 sonata with a 5 speed pealing tire drifting through a turn at red line could only manage to get up to 65ish on an uphill onramp from Braddock on rout 376E. The traffic here can be flowing at 85mph many times. This causes concern as the decision to merge at the yield goes from overtake the traffic to get into the opening or jam on the breaks and hope everyone behind on the onramp notices.

carzes

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Fear is not an option in my home town for power. Where I live in Pittsburgh we have some sharp hair pin turns then steep uphill onramps to highways. My case in point is my 2004 sonata with a 5 speed pealing tire drifting through a turn at red line could only manage to get up to 65ish on an uphill onramp from Braddock on rout 376E. The traffic here can be flowing at 85mph many times. This causes concern as the decision to merge at the yield goes from overtake the traffic to get into the opening or jam on the breaks and hope everyone behind on the onramp notices.
I do get where you're coming from. I've driven LOTS of hairy traffic situations in many countries. Lots of power can make life easier, then again, so can good handling and brakes. I guess the bottom line is still, how much power do you need? And how much trade off are you wanting to make? If you could only get 90% of enough power, would that still leave you splattered on the highway?
My position is simply this: I NEED good mpg. It'll save my family a ton of money every year, and we don't have a lot of extra. I like the 84mpg idea, and there is no one else out there even TRYING to do it. There are LOTS of options that already have loads of power, that already sacrifice mpg for acceleration. Let them build this one for mpg, even if it's not a rocket. You can always tweak it a bit later and you never know, It might surprise you right out the door. If not, you can always shoehorn a small block chevy motor in it and have the fastest Elio on the planet.

tim

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Elio should offer an OEM option that changes the programming of the Engine Control Unit to provide higher horsepower--this would likely result in lower MPG for this version. Many potential Elio buyers want high mpg above all else, which is why this should be an option. On the other hand, many potential buyers would happily loose a few MPG if they could get a few HP. This sort of buyer would gladly pay a bit more for an Elio with more HP that required premium gas. With a relatively small upfront investment, this could woo additional buyers to purchase a higher profit-margin version of the Elio.

Anyhow, that's what I think, what do you think?
Well my thinking is that above certain small modifications like intake and exhaust tweaks, you take the reliablity out of then engine because then you tend to drive it a little harder to squeeze the extra bit out of it. This vehicle is not supposed to be a hot rod, just a high mpg, reliable commuter vehicle. doesn't mean that some geeks will cook up tuneable ECU, or one of the companies out there like Power Commander will not make one that can piggyback off the existing one.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It would take the aftermarket manufactures about a week to design and program an add on tuner for the ELIO. The Tuners are available now for every system out there. From simple basic ones that allow you to alter air to fuel to ones that allow you to totally rewrite the ECM.
Autotune tuners are common place today and are very effective.
The one I currently use on my bike will bypass the ECM load a basic tune that is just enough to get the thing running then auto tune on the go.
You can then make on the fly changes to any area of the tune you wish to meet your goals.
20 years ago the ECM was a mystery to most today just another part no rocket science .

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hi Sam, I think you have the misfortune of having come in to comment after a couple of months of very negative anti-Elio, you are stupid, what are you thinking, trolls so those of us who are true believers have become a little defensive. Believe it or not, we are not usually that way. Everyone is entitled to their views. I am one of the low income people Paul Elio is targeting. I do not commute to work because I am retired but I do travel 30-40 miles 3 times or more per week for shopping, swimming at the Roseburg YMCA, etc., and having that low cost vehicle that achieves 84mpg is very important to me. I hope you will return to visit and comment in the future. Diversity truly is the spice of life. :) Z
I drove to the Smokeys a month ago for photography. Then I drove to Michigan last weekend, ditto and some other business. That's 2,000 miles for those two trips. My Subaru averaged 25 mpg (way up since I replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor). 80% highway driving. So... 2000 / 25 = 80 gallons vs 19 gallons for the Elio. Gas averaged 3.19, so the Subaru's gas cost was $255.20 vs $60.61.

$255 vs $60. Yes, I'd like some more power. But those savings really add up over a year. I WANT MY ELIO, stock or souped up, ASAP

Edward43

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The whole point of the Elio is, to stay away as long as you can from greedy Oil companies and buying their gasoline and still enjoy the comfort of a car. Either you (plural) are part of the problem or part of the solution. I am with Elio, to be part of the solution, how about it?
Well said Rolf, this vehicle is meant to be comfortable transportation, aimed at practical solutions for everyone. Another vehicle that was designed to accomplish similar goals was the Mustang. Within two years it had nothing in common with the original design, or goals. Let the aftermarket do what it will, but the original promise must be maintained.

champsman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unless it is in a pickup or large SUV a 3.6 liter motor is oversize. Yet a lot of people buy them and then complain about how much they spend on gas. If you are building an economical vehicle with great gas mileage a small motor is mandatory.

It would be great if they had a button you could push to put it into a high power mode for thing like trailer towing or passing.

All my Suzuki cars (4) have had a switch for economy or power mode, now for ELIO to do the same. Maybe a dollar or two for switch and wire extra

Top Bottom