• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Shreveport Factory Delivery $

Earl LaSitis

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I do remember the site map were Elio company store my be in my area. Do you know if this is some how being coroneted with production of car?
Are they going to run in to a problem like Tesla did?

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ohio (where I happen to live) is one the few stupid states that requires all sales operations in the state to be operated by franchised dealerships. Manufacturers cannot operate their own sales outlets. This applies to all motor vehicles, including motorcycles. This law is relatively recent. Tesla operates three dealerships in Ohio that are grandfathered due to being in operation prior to the law being passed. (Tesla's direct-to-consumer sales was what triggered the stupid law to be passed.)

I don't know how EM plans to deal with this situation. The projected retail locations map shows a retail center very close to where I live and work in Ohio. But if they can't actually sell vehicles here because of the protectionist dealership laws, I'm not sure what they will do. (Ohio also requires all new-vehicle dealerships to have on-site (or very closely located) service for the vehicles they sell.)

One option is for Elio to operate "Education Centers" similar to what Tesla does in states where they are not allowed to sell vehicles. You can go there and learn all about Tesla vehicles, the benefits of electric, etc., but they are forbidden to sell, or even discuss pricing. If you want to buy, they have to refer you to out-of-state dealers where you can discuss that. If EM were to operate an "education center", then you would have to go online to buy your vehicle. That's what EM was planning on doing anyway, but they may not be allowed to actually have the kiosks on-site.

Or could they operate "delivery centers" in Ohio where you can't buy, but you can take possession of a vehicle you bought online?

Anyway... I want my Elio. If that means I have to go to Pittsburgh to pick it up, then so be it. It's also possible that I could fly down to the factory to pick it up. That would be one hell of a trip driving it all the way home.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've often wondered if they might consider strategically locating sales outlets just over Ohio's state line on major highways .... that might be unhandy for folks in the middle of the state

bebopag

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Wonderment ???
Would it be possible to pick-up your Elio at the factory with you're Elio bearing temporary Louisiana paper plates. Then drive to, and re-register in your home state (for your Elio's permanently licensed home-state plates) ?

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wonderment ???
Would it be possible to pick-up your Elio at the factory with you're Elio bearing temporary Louisiana paper plates. Then drive to, and re-register in your home state (for your Elio's permanently licensed home-state plates) ?

that is the way campers and boats sold in one state that will be registered in another state are handled .... am pretty sure the same is true for vehicles but don't have first hand experience with them

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Destination charges are required by law. Deborah Mcateer posted an article on that on the Elio motors Owners Association fb group a few weeks ago. Basically before the law went into effect the destination charges varied from place to place. The government saw a big problem ans created the law to set the destination charges the same for everyone regardless of how close or far their car would need to be trucked to them. Elio has no control or say so on destination charges. Bottom line here is we will all pay a destination charge no matter where you pick up you Elio. As for a factory tour.... that would probably be governed by or limited due to safety / insurance concerns or rules. OSHA is likely to have a big say so in what is or is not allowed. Having worked in manufacturing plants i can tell you that plants often have areas that no one bu authorized employees are allowed to enter.

Charles Stanley

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I thought that our car would be delivered to the nearest Pep Boys for pick up>

Jim Mizell
An Elio reservationists recently sent that suggestion to Elio motors. EM replied that the suggestion was being forwarded to the appropriate people for consideration. However, the rumor has been floating around other Elio groups for at least a year. Elio motors did not start that rumor. The problem with forums is anyone can say anything and it is often that someone gets part of a comment and assumes it to be something it is not or that it is fact.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Destination charges are required by law. Deborah Mcateer posted an article on that on the Elio motors Owners Association fb group a few weeks ago. Basically before the law went into effect the destination charges varied from place to place. The government saw a big problem ans created the law to set the destination charges the same for everyone regardless of how close or far their car would need to be trucked to them. Elio has no control or say so on destination charges. Bottom line here is we will all pay a destination charge no matter where you pick up you Elio. As for a factory tour.... that would probably be governed by or limited due to safety / insurance concerns or rules. OSHA is likely to have a big say so in what is or is not allowed. Having worked in manufacturing plants i can tell you that plants often have areas that no one bu authorized employees are allowed to enter.
Destination charges may be set by law for all delivered vehicles but we are talking about vehicles that aren't shipped or delivered at all.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Okay. I got curious about how much the "required by law" charges would be. I can't find anything that requires an automaker to charge everyone the same for destination charges. If you know where that info is, please share it. I'd love to check it out.

Top Bottom