• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Smart Engine...

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about doing a 74 VW Beetle clutch; motor out, split, clutch change and resurface flywheel, put back together, back in the car and running in 30 minutes. I did so many late 60's and early 70's I could do them in my sleep. Same with 70's Chrysler/Dodge starters. That little gear is what made them sound like they were laughing at you; that's what would break in the freezing winter months.
I think my Volkswagen mechanic overcharged me......

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To expand what Ty said: The Smart is not an economy car or highway cruiser. It is a city car meant to navigate tight European urban centers at low speeds. We don't have those so Marketing (aka liars) re-branded it here to sell it to gullible Americans who failed to read the Monroney sticker.

That said, it's a neat little engine, but undersized for the vehicle. The turbo will be in boost frequently to get that much weight moving, which kills mileage. See the EcoBoost in the medium and large Ford products like the Flex. It doesn't get good mileage in those because the engine is too small and is in boost too much.

I agree that with the better aerodynamics and lighter weight that the Elio will get close to it's goal without a turbo and much less HP. It's the low-rpm torque that will do the best job of getting us there.

Marketing people lie?

I'm shocked!

Ian442

Elio Addict
Reaction score
To expand what Ty said: The Smart is not an economy car or highway cruiser. It is a city car meant to navigate tight European urban centers at low speeds. We don't have those so Marketing (aka liars) re-branded it here to sell it to gullible Americans who failed to read the Monroney sticker.

That said, it's a neat little engine, but undersized for the vehicle. The turbo will be in boost frequently to get that much weight moving, which kills mileage. See the EcoBoost in the medium and large Ford products like the Flex. It doesn't get good mileage in those because the engine is too small and is in boost too much.

I agree that with the better aerodynamics and lighter weight that the Elio will get close to it's goal without a turbo and much less HP. It's the low-rpm torque that will do the best job of getting us there.

The Smart cars are like driving a wedge. At first aw how cute, but i forget who posted the crash scene photos..thanks but no thanks.

Johnapool

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Accessible and recognize what's under the hood... On my 72 240Z, you could stand on the right side of the car, and change the starter with your left hand behind your back. :)
Man. what great cars those early Datsuns were. Just keep the valves adjusted and they would run almost forever. My '72 Datsun 510 carried four passengers fine, ran like a little sports car, got 31mpg. The 240 was the very same engine with 2 more cylinders added. By the time I got my 280ZX, they had become more complicated.

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Half the car? I think not. The Elio and the SMART four two haul around the same number of people! :D:p
You're right again Ty! I did see them in the freeway occasionally and they're actually keeping up w/ the flow of traffic. That's all I need from our ELIO- if it can keep up, it's good enough for me! It may even get a speeding ticket if one is not careful! :D

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
How about doing a 74 VW Beetle clutch; motor out, split, clutch change and resurface flywheel, put back together, back in the car and running in 30 minutes. I did so many late 60's and early 70's I could do them in my sleep. Same with 70's Chrysler/Dodge starters. That little gear is what made them sound like they were laughing at you; that's what would break in the freezing winter months.
I would have loved to work on one of those early buggers (beetle) but for some odd reason, I never owned one! At one point I was ready to buy a used one but my wife.....!:mad: I like the part that you can take the whole engine out w/ just a few screws! ;)

Top Bottom