• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Smart Engine...

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I replaced the serpentine belt on my 1999 Toyota Corolla w/ 256,000 miles on it- didn't even have to unscrew any bolt/s- one hand on the ratchet to give it a slack and the other to remove and reinstall a new one- this is a 1999 tech and somehow Toyota designers and engineers came up with this spring loaded tensioner for grease monkeys like me!:D

jetpack54

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual transmission for me on my first one whenever it becomes available. I've been reading on the CVT and there seems to be more positive reviews than negative- is it because it's technology as evolved and that refinements was made? I'm reading on this new Mitsubishi Mirage w/ a 1.2L 12 valve 3 cylinder engine and their CVT tech. seems to be a good match for their little engine.

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Manual transmission for me on my first one whenever it becomes available. I've been reading on the CVT and there seems to be more positive reviews than negative- is it because it's technology as evolved and that refinements was made?
As with picking the right size engine for the vehicle, it's about picking the right transmission for the vehicle, I think. CVT's in a vehicle that's too big will mean many transmission repairs. Size it right (and build it right) and it will last a long time. The CVT in the first generation Honda Insight (1975 lb, 1 liter 3 cylinder) is highly reliable, good for 200k-300k miles. And that CVT was designed nearly 20 years ago.

Top Bottom