• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Darrell

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I have a 99 Mercedes ML320 that just turned over 250',000 miles with 0 oil usage between changing it at 3,000 miles. Have noticed that Mobil 1 is free flowing at 0 degrees vs. slow flowing Dino oil. Have to believe this gives better lubrication at start-up, which is where most wear occurs.

PhilBob

Elio Fan
Reaction score
There's no special engineering needed to run synthetic oil. At your 1st oil change you can switch to synthetic with no issues. I know i will. (flames no doubt coming because of all the goofy myths surrounding synthetic oil)

The 3K change number is seriously absurd given today's standards. The 3K number as a popular standard for an oil change was born out of Jiffy Lube propaganda and not manufacturer requirements.

Please expound on the "myths" surrounding synthetic oil that you refer to. Ever since first reading about synthetic oil when it first became available, it has seemed to me to be a major boon to automotive engine longevity and fuel economy. However, every automotive "expert" seems to have his/her personal bias against the stuff for one reason or another. What's your take (and expertise) on this topic?

wheaters

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it's major advantage is that it will maintain its viscosity for longer. It will still get dirty at the same rate as a mineral oil, if the same filter is used. Before now I've considered changing the filter but leaving oil in, just to take advantage of its longevity.

But oil is cheap, compared to a new engine.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, it's major advantage is that it will maintain its viscosity for longer. It will still get dirty at the same rate as a mineral oil, if the same filter is used. Before now I've considered changing the filter but leaving oil in, just to take advantage of its longevity.

But oil is cheap, compared to a new engine.

agree but what I don't understand is using more expensive synthetic and keeping the change intervals at 3,000 miles

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
with its newly designed motor, it will be interesting to see what type oil Elio recommends

Jim

From some of the better articles we have been told that the planned oil is conventional 5W-20. :)

The stated oil change is indeed 3,000 miles however in my opinion this likely has more to do with the engine being newly designed. It would not surprise if this number changes over time, maybe even before production, however it is much better for them to just state 3,000 miles as most people are used to hearing this number and will not question it. :D

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From some of the better articles we have been told that the planned oil is conventional 5W-20. :)

The stated oil change is indeed 3,000 miles however in my opinion this likely has more to do with the engine being newly designed. It would not surprise if this number changes over time, maybe even before production, however it is much better for them to just state 3,000 miles as most people are used to hearing this number and will not question it. :D

3000 with conventional oil makes sense to me .... just curious, any estimate on how many quarts it will take

Jim

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
3000 with conventional oil makes sense to me .... just curious, any estimate on how many quarts it will take

Jim

Good question, I do not believe I have seen an answer for that yet.

My personal guess would be four quarts however that is merely a guess based on similar sized engines out there right now.

Top Bottom