• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both my homebuilt airplanes used the Rotax 912 engine. One was 80 hp the second was 100 hp. These engines are high rev, geared flat 4's. I used 100% synthetic for it's superior heat resistance and lower friction. However one problem with 100% synthetics was it's so slick it drops off the engine parts quite readily and could actually increase the chance of rust (not a problem for daily drivers). Regular oil adhered better to the parts and kept them rust free. I would recommend regular oil for the break-in (otherwise it'll take forever) then switch to 100% synthetic for regular use.

I would defy anyone to coat a piece of metal with synthetic and a piece with fossil oil and see which one actually rusts first. I'm betting neither rust. Some people argue the "break-in" thing, but a lot of car manufacturers use synthetic from day one. Are they concerned? No. And you know why? All engines are run full-throttle at the factory. 80% of the break-in is done before you get it.

larryboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Both my homebuilt airplanes used the Rotax 912 engine. One was 80 hp the second was 100 hp. These engines are high rev, geared flat 4's. I used 100% synthetic for it's superior heat resistance and lower friction. However one problem with 100% synthetics was it's so slick it drops off the engine parts quite readily and could actually increase the chance of rust (not a problem for daily drivers). Regular oil adhered better to the parts and kept them rust free. I would recommend regular oil for the break-in (otherwise it'll take forever) then switch to 100% synthetic for regular use.

I read somewhere that modern synthetics and regular oil mix well together and a quart or two of synthetic oil gives you almost all the protection and benefits of synthetic oil at less cost. Since then I have added some synthetic when I changed the oil or added some to top off between oil changes. I have had no engine problems since I started doing this. Of course my highest mileage vehicle has been a Subaru wagon with 162K. Larry

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
I read somewhere that modern synthetics and regular oil mix well together and a quart or two of synthetic oil gives you almost all the protection and benefits of synthetic oil at less cost. Since then I have added some synthetic when I changed the oil or added some to top off between oil changes. I have had no engine problems since I started doing this. Of course my highest mileage vehicle has been a Subaru wagon with 162K. Larry

All oil manufactures (and I mean ALL) tell you not to mix the two. However, what's the difference if you are using a factory synthetic "blend" (all manufacturers make a blend). Aren't they mixed in the blend?

aknaten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read elsewhere the Elio engine will run on regular grade gasoline. How about the oil? Somewhere there was mentioned that 3,000 miles will be the oil change interval. Will it require synthetic oil? New and late-model vehicles from European makes such as BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi typically require the use of full synthetic oil. Modern engines also typically run 7,000 to 10,000 miles between changes. Why the 3,000 mile stipulation? Do smaller engines need more frequent oil changes?

LockMD

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've read elsewhere the Elio engine will run on regular grade gasoline. How about the oil? Somewhere there was mentioned that 3,000 miles will be the oil change interval. Will it require synthetic oil? New and late-model vehicles from European makes such as BMW, Volkswagen, Mercedes-Benz and Audi typically require the use of full synthetic oil. Modern engines also typically run 7,000 to 10,000 miles between changes. Why the 3,000 mile stipulation? Do smaller engines need more frequent oil changes?

??? I'd like to know that too....

My Chevy Sonic tells me when to change the oil, it's averaging about 9,000 miles.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Designed for regular oil. You can of course use synthetic and go longer between changes if you want.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Designed for regular oil. You can of course use synthetic and go longer between changes if you want.

For even more detail we now know the planned oil is conventional 5W-20. :)

The stated oil change is indeed 3,000 miles however in my opinion this likely has more to do with the engine being newly designed. It would not surprise me if after a year or two of these engines being in widespread use that number creeps up to 5,000 or more. :D

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For even more detail we now know the planned oil is conventional 5W-20. :)

The stated oil change is indeed 3,000 miles however in my opinion this likely has more to do with the engine being newly designed. It would not surprise me if after a year or two of these engines being in widespread use that number creeps up to 5,000 or more. :D
Thanks for posting that, goofyone. I know I saw it on here somewhere recently and I could not find it. I figured if I waited long enough you would fill us in on the facts. I would call you my hero but I don't want to embarrass you. LOL :-) Z

Paladin

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
This has been hashed and argued over several times before. Basically, there are the "old school" people that think you should change your oil every 3000 miles and use "fossil oil." In Europe they have been using "fossil oil" in cars with oil change intervals at 7000-10,000 miles. We change the synthetic in our cars at 10,000 miles, while in Europe they change at about 15,000. Basically we have been sold a bill of goods by the car manufacturers and the oil companies in the U.S. for the last 100 years (they are in bed together). Even car manufacturers who still put "fossil oil" in their new cars (very few) have started recommending oil changes at 5000-7000 miles. Nobody recommends 3000 any more (not even in motorcycles), except Elio. Many of us wonder what engineering school the people graduated from that are designing their 1930's engine! But realistically, regardless what they put in it at the factory, run it 3000 miles to finish breaking it in (all manufacturers, worldwide, run every new engine at full throttle before it leaves the factory and all modern engines are 80% broke-in when you get the vehicle, so I'm going assume they will test-run every Elio engine just like the big boys do and there won't be much break-in left when you get it), then put synthetic in it and run it at least 10,000 miles between changes. That's what real mechanics and engine-savvy customers are going to be doing.

MASCMAN

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I don't get why people think synthetic oil is "slipperyer" than dino oil...the viscosity is the same.

The benefit of synthetic is that it doesn't break down like the dino oil.

One thing to remember though is that your oil is still getting dirty...if you are going 10k, it would not be a bad idea to change the filter at 5k.

I have run both in my built Harley engine and performance wise and noise wise, did not notice a difference. I will run synthetic because of the air cooled motor.

Top Bottom