• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Some Engine Info From The Facebook Page For Elio.

olddog1946

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Let me elaborate. The only one that really benefits from the purchase of a warranty is the seller of the warranty. Warranties are such a massive profit making scheme for companies. Besides, how much could an engine or transmission possibly cost on a $6,800 dollar vehicle. Probably less than the cost of the warranty. Pretend you bought the warranty and put the money in a savings account every time a warranty is offered and you will never have worry about having the money to repair or replace something again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works just the same in the appliance industry..heck, many folks forget they even have the warranty,..I did get one when my wife bought a used Chevy Blazer, withing a month the water pump went out, and they claimed it wouldn't be covered under the warranty..even though it was clearly stated in the contract that it was....told them I'd take them to court if I didn't get my money back..got it immediately and fixed it myself. 160K later I had no other problems....$1100 for the warranty, less than 50 for the water pump and gaskets..you tell me how you break even or get ahead??

Cali Chris

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Works just the same in the appliance industry..heck, many folks forget they even have the warranty,..I did get one when my wife bought a used Chevy Blazer, withing a month the water pump went out, and they claimed it wouldn't be covered under the warranty..even though it was clearly stated in the contract that it was....told them I'd take them to court if I didn't get my money back..got it immediately and fixed it myself. 160K later I had no other problems....$1100 for the warranty, less than 50 for the water pump and gaskets..you tell me how you break even or get ahead??
If it was possible for the customer to break even or get ahead then they wouldn't sell warranties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CheeseheadEarl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
For me, more oil is good. Better cooling and such.

It's a balancing act. Too much oil capacity means the oil takes longer to reach operating temps, and mileage will suffer.

Not enough is worse though. Overheating and loss of lubricating qualities=bye bye motor.

Good synthetics work better at the edges of the temp range, that's their main advantage over conventional oil.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About 11 years ago we had a ClubLexus member who was also a multi-level dealer for Amsoil. He proudly touted the line that with HIS product you never had to change your oil. Supposedly Amsoil backed the claim with a warranty, so he spread the message far and wide, much to the consternation of hundreds of engineers and enthusiasts on the site. Naturally, none of this made sense.

Back in the '30's one of my Dad's old engineering profs recommended you top off oil and change filters regularly but never change oil. That was then, this is now. Today's oils are at least half "additives" that "wear out". While a high-mileage engine may continuously "refine" the oil in the crankcase, it does nothing for the dozen or so other chemicals in the lubricant. Extended or ignored oil change intervals beyond the manufacturer's recommendation is a real gamble.

Well, it all came home to roost at about 24K miles. Multi-level boy's engine seized, Lexus wouldn't warranty an engine swap, and Amsoil either had no such warranty or denied it had. Our favorite oil geek ended up with a $14K bill for a new engine out of warranty. OUCH!

Moral: If you're going to gamble, know the stakes.

If you're looking for good, authoritative info on oil, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

2.ooohhh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
About 11 years ago we had a ClubLexus member who was also a multi-level dealer for Amsoil. He proudly touted the line that with HIS product you never had to change your oil. Supposedly Amsoil backed the claim with a warranty, so he spread the message far and wide, much to the consternation of hundreds of engineers and enthusiasts on the site. Naturally, none of this made sense.

Back in the '30's one of my Dad's old engineering profs recommended you top off oil and change filters regularly but never change oil. That was then, this is now. Today's oils are at least half "additives" that "wear out". While a high-mileage engine may continuously "refine" the oil in the crankcase, it does nothing for the dozen or so other chemicals in the lubricant. Extended or ignored oil change intervals beyond the manufacturer's recommendation is a real gamble.

Well, it all came home to roost at about 24K miles. Multi-level boy's engine seized, Lexus wouldn't warranty an engine swap, and Amsoil either had no such warranty or denied it had. Our favorite oil geek ended up with a $14K bill for a new engine out of warranty. OUCH!

Moral: If you're going to gamble, know the stakes.

If you're looking for good, authoritative info on oil, check out http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I had a customer like that once, when I "changed" his bmw's oil for the second time at 50k it came out in piles scraped out with pocket screwdrivers. Ended up costing him several thousand more that he had "saved" on the missed oil changes. . .

2719212592_3bd27b2e11_z.jpg

2718392163_7894d6f5ef_z.jpg

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I had a customer like that once, when I "changed" his bmw's oil for the second time at 50k it came out in piles scraped out with pocket screwdrivers. Ended up costing him several thousand more that he had "saved" on the missed oil changes. . .

And that's why I have for the last 50 years always changed my oil at 3,000 miles. Cheap insurance

bowers baldwin

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I don't think that's considered "oil" at this point.. Tar maybe, perhaps pitch, might still be useful in roofing...

Top Bottom