• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The issue

Yes, the autocycle is a class of motorcycle.........only difference by definition is it has a steering wheel and you sit in a seat not straddle or astride it. I think they should have added enclosed cabin as some states are doing. Initially I thought it was a totally new classification of vehicle too, but it's rather a subclassification definition used for state licensing mc endorsement exemptions. A motorcycle that drives like an auto.
Being a subclass of motorcycles is news to me. I have never heard of this before. It always sounded like a new classification of vehicle. I hope you are correct.

I believe one of the reasons EM wants this new classification is so they can call it an "autocycle" . From what I have seen, some people have been put off by the motorcycle classification.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Being a subclass of motorcycles is news to me. I have never heard of this before. It always sounded like a new classification of vehicle. I hope you are correct.

I believe one of the reasons EM wants this new classification is so they can call it an "autocycle" . From what I have seen, some people have been put off by the motorcycle classification.
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MICHIGAN VEHICLE CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 300 of 1949
257.25a “Autocycle” defined.

Sec. 25a. “Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar,
windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not
more than 3 wheels in contact with the roadway at any 1 time.
History: Add. 1984, Act 328, Imd. Eff. Dec. 26, 1984.
Rendered Monday,

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
2010 Tennessee Code
Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar, windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the roadway at any one (1) time;

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Autocycle. "Autocycle" means an enclosed motorcycle having no more than 3 wheels

in contact with the ground and that:
A. Meets the general motorcycle inspection standards, except those standards that do not apply due
to the design of the vehicle; and
B. Is equipped with:
(1) Safety belts for all passengers;
(2) A roll bar;
(3) A steering wheel or tiller; and
(4) Brakes on at least 2 main wheels.

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Autocycle. "Autocycle" means an enclosed motorcycle having no more than 3 wheels

in contact with the ground and that:
A. Meets the general motorcycle inspection standards, except those standards that do not apply due
to the design of the vehicle; and
B. Is equipped with:
(1) Safety belts for all passengers;
(2) A roll bar;
(3) A steering wheel or tiller; and
(4) Brakes on at least 2 main wheels.
Thanks for the information. I checked them out and they seem correct. I am surprised Michigan goes back as far as 1984.

I also found at: http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_494d7932-752c-11e3-bff4-0019bb30f31a.html

this statement regarding an introduced bill at Virginia.

" Autocycle means a three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Except as otherwise provided, an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle ," reads Scott's House Bill 122, a proposed addition to the Code of Virginia section already defining other types of vehicles like the moped, motorcycle, passenger car and pickup truck.

In this proposed bill, it specifically says "an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle". It seems the various states are not in complete agreement. I suspect if elio becomes as big as I believe, the states may have to agree.

Thanks for the info.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. I checked them out and they seem correct. I am surprised Michigan goes back as far as 1984.

I also found at: http://www.dailyprogress.com/starex...cle_494d7932-752c-11e3-bff4-0019bb30f31a.html

this statement regarding an introduced bill at Virginia.

" Autocycle means a three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Except as otherwise provided, an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle ," reads Scott's House Bill 122, a proposed addition to the Code of Virginia section already defining other types of vehicles like the moped, motorcycle, passenger car and pickup truck.

In this proposed bill, it specifically says "an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle". It seems the various states are not in complete agreement. I suspect if elio becomes as big as I believe, the states may have to agree.

Thanks for the info.
I was also surprised Michigan goes back as far as 1984, and also some other state have also mention about autocycle, but I pick few and relized it is lot of other state to pick.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was also surprised Michigan goes back as far as 1984, and also some other state have also mention about autocycle, but I pick few and relized it is lot of other state to pick.
you do very good, we keep ups the good work you try u spells surprised but not realized write. you can by spell checker two help

Top Bottom