• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hm. Too bad he's all-in. It sounds to me like he probably shouldn't have bought a place in line.
I kind of equate this to making a dinner reservation at a fancy, yet new restaurant. Seems silly to get in line at 2:00 for a 7:00 dinner, then constantly tell everyone in line with you how none of us are ever going to be seated by 7, and that the restaurant isn't going to be any good anyway. Oh well. Different folks I guess...
Perhaps if we take up a collection, we can refund him and he will stay off line.

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
Just to clarify some confusion I am seeing in this thread.

According to the federal government, NHTSA, the Elio vehicle is a motorcycle simply because it has fewer than wheels. As such the vehicle is subject to all NHTSA FMVSS motorcycle standards, not passenger car standards, and must meet these standards for NHTSA certification. As this vehicle will be NHTSA certified as a motorcycle it will be issued a motorcycle VIN. Elio Motors has NO intention of pushing for a change in NHTSA status as there are many advantages to them in being classified this way.

Each state however is tasked with determining for themselves the standards for how vehicles are sold, titled, registered, minimum insurance requirements, any safety and/or smog inspection requirements, licensing requirements, use restrictions, and any required personal protective equipment. As each state makes these determinations laws can, and do, vary from state to state. This is where Elio Motors runs into issues in some states.

A common solution which EM has used to resolve issues is to create an 'autocycle' category in a number of states. As state laws vary the exact use of the 'autocycle' category also varies. Depending on the state this could be a new category of vehicle altogether or it could be a sub-category of motorcycle. In other states the legal remedy may be to simply amend helmet laws to exclude motorcycles with enclosed cabins and/or exclude motorcycles with car like controls from motorcycle endorsement requirements. As the laws vary from state to state so does the solution to any legal issues.

Someone also brought up CARB emissions requirements. So far in every state EM has been successful at essentially keeping this vehicle registered as a motorcycle or motorcycle equivalent class which means that it does not need to meet the more stringent passenger car emissions requirement but instead the less stringent motorcycle requirements. Also keep in mind that EM is using a highly fuel efficient engine with modern engine controls and emissions control equipment so the reality is that the IAV engine will very likely meet CARB requirements for passengers cars anyhow.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just to clarify some confusion I am seeing in this thread.

According to the federal government, NHTSA, the Elio vehicle is a motorcycle simply because it has fewer than wheels. As such the vehicle is subject to all NHTSA FMVSS motorcycle standards, not passenger car standards, and must meet these standards for NHTSA certification. As this vehicle will be NHTSA certified as a motorcycle it will be issued a motorcycle VIN. Elio Motors has NO intention of pushing for a change in NHTSA status as there are many advantages to them in being classified this way.

Each state however is tasked with determining for themselves the standards for how vehicles are sold, titled, registered, minimum insurance requirements, any safety and/or smog inspection requirements, licensing requirements, use restrictions, and any required personal protective equipment. As each state makes these determinations laws can, and do, vary from state to state. This is where Elio Motors runs into issues in some states.

A common solution which EM has used to resolve issues is to create an 'autocycle' category in a number of states. As state laws vary the exact use of the 'autocycle' category also varies. Depending on the state this could be a new category of vehicle altogether or it could be a sub-category of motorcycle. In other states the legal remedy may be to simply amend helmet laws to exclude motorcycles with enclosed cabins and/or exclude motorcycles with car like controls from motorcycle endorsement requirements. As the laws vary from state to state so does the solution to any legal issues.

Someone also brought up CARB emissions requirements. So far in every state EM has been successful at essentially keeping this vehicle registered as a motorcycle or motorcycle equivalent class which means that it does not need to meet the more stringent passenger car emissions requirement but instead the less stringent motorcycle requirements. Also keep in mind that EM is using a highly fuel efficient engine with modern engine controls and emissions control equipment so the reality is that the IAV engine will very likely meet CARB requirements for passengers cars anyhow.
I agree with Goofyone, and whatever each states may call or category as the law vary from state to state. What should we call it when I tell other about "Elio Autocycle" or "Elio Motorcycle" or maybe "Elio Vehicle"? Any idea?

Last edited by a moderator:

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with Goofyone, and whatever each states may call or category as the law vary from state to state. What should we call it when I tell other about "Elio Autocycle" or "Elio Motorcycle" or maybe "Elio Vehicle"? Any idea?

Q: Is Elio a car or a motorcycle?

According to the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) “Motorcycle” means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground. So if it is less than four wheels it is a motorcycle. But what do you see when you look at the Elio? Fully enclosed, power windows, wiper blades, steering wheel, gas and brake pedals… you be the judge.

https://www.eliomotors.com/faq/

:D

Sr.MailMan

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Connecticut has already judged... "If the cabin is separate from the engine/motor, it will be registered/titled as a automobile/car"

As other states see the $$ advantage, they too will jump on the band wagon, when the Elio grows in numbers.

Elio Motors will build to car specs to cover all 50 states.

As stated above... individual states will do what they want.

Top Bottom