• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ouch! Tough crowd!:eek:
I'm a "wrench turner" with 30+ years on aircraft, and I promise you that I know pretty much everything 'engineering-wise' about the process. We've (wrench turners) been included in every major/minor change to the present design (F-15) for our input on tool design to egronomics during fabrication to station placements of new/redesigned parts. I'm currently the lead in my department, and the only collateral inspector for the departments on either side of mine. I talk with (work related and non-work related) engineers of every possible discipline every day, and they consistently ask for my (our - wrench turners) input....with the exception of a few arrogant jerks (usually newbie engineers), they don't add a fastener to the blueprint without checking with us first. Don't assume all 'blue collars' are clueless dipsh*ts.
I do not “assume all 'blue collars' are clueless dipsh*ts”. Before I got my engineering degree (Masters, Purdue Univ.) I worked for several years as a technician and will be the first to state that in many instances, the technicians do exactly the same work as the engineers. In most instances, the talent of the individual is more important than the formal training.

I worked for Bell Labs in development of telephone switching systems who’s computer has my designs in it. I worked on the AMRAAM air to air missile whose computer and test software have my designs in them. I have worked on fighter jet radars. I have written part of the design specifications for proposals while bidding on some of Europe’s fighter jets (after the proposal I was told to wait because it would be very slow). I have been in rooms where fighter radar bid proposal specifications were being thrashed out, and I felt very inadequate by the tremendous business and technical brainpower present.

You have been involved in the modification of one existing systems. I have been involved in the initial proposal and development of several systems and it is not at all simple. Government defense projects like you and I work on have lots of money. EM is working on a shoestring budget. Our work is technical which is usually logical. Paul Elio’s work also includes business, finance, and pleasing investors which is not near as logical.

Governmental defense systems are plagued by tremendous delays before reaching production. I have worked mostly with development of these systems and I am very familiar with delays. I do not see EM’s delays as abnormal in any way.

In your intial post (post 1 of this thread) you said “I'm a 30 year veteran of the auto industry”. Then in post 221 of this thread you said you have “30+ years on aircraft” and you specifically say the F-15 aircraft. Thirty years in one industry is definitely not 30 years in the other industry.

Gotchya.

Just as I suspected. Soneone feeling insecure trying to look like a big man.

Now, tuck your tail between your legs and leave!

EDIT: I got the posts mixed up and clicked on the wrong one, mixing NSTG8R (who seems to have class) with Texas Elio (who...). However my sentiments remain the same. I do not like arrogance.

Last edited:

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not “assume all 'blue collars' are clueless dipsh*ts”. Before I got my engineering degree (Masters, Purdue Univ.) I worked for several years as a technician and will be the first to state that in many instances, the technicians do exactly the same work as the engineers. In most instances, the talent of the individual is more important than the formal training.

I worked for Bell Labs in development of telephone switching systems who’s computer has my designs in it. I worked on the AMRAAM air to air missile whose computer and test software have my designs in them. I have worked on fighter jet radars. I have written part of the design specifications for proposals while bidding on some of Europe’s fighter jets (after the proposal I was told to wait because it would be very slow). I have been in rooms where fighter radar bid proposal specifications were being thrashed out, and I felt very inadequate by the tremendous business and technical brainpower present.

You have been involved in the modification of one existing systems. I have been involved in the initial proposal and development of several systems and it is not at all simple. Government defense projects like you and I work on have lots of money. EM is working on a shoestring budget. Our work is technical which is usually logical. Paul Elio’s work also includes business, finance, and pleasing investors which is not near as logical.

Governmental defense systems are plagued by tremendous delays before reaching production. I have worked mostly with development of these systems and I am very familiar with delays. I do not see EM’s delays as abnormal in any way.

In your intial post (post 1 of this thread) you said “I'm a 30 year veteran of the auto industry”. Then in post 221 of this thread you said you have “30+ years on aircraft” and you specifically say the F-15 aircraft. Thirty years in one industry is definitely not 30 years in the other industry.

Gotchya.

Just as I suspected. Soneone feeling insecure trying to look like a big man.

Now, tuck your tail between your legs and leave!

Impressive resume' Pistonboy! You sound like a pretty smart guy, but I'm not TexasElio...So, do I still have to "tuck my tail between my legs and leave."? :D;)

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Impressive resume' Pistonboy! You sound like a pretty smart guy, but I'm not TexasElio...So, do I still have to "tuck my tail between my legs and leave."? :D;)
No. I have read some of your posts and you seem to have class. I goofed and clicked on your post instead of the intended.one. My sentiments to the originally intended are still the same. I do not like arrogance! Sorry for the mix up.

I see you are from St Louis. I am grew up in the Cape Girardeau area.

In the meeting I mentioned with all the high powered business and technical people, I kept thinking of the old saying"

"Better to keep silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt."

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have seen people that were determined to do something and committed do some amazing things. They did so when many said they had no chance.
To this day no one has proven to me that Elio is not committed to making this work. To get this far ELIO surely has some talent behind it.
Never count a good man with something to prove out , long as he is still swinging.
As for getting the plant up and running , look around in todays world amazing things can be dome in a short time.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two (very talented and educated) boys having a pissing contest??!!, but after it's all said, you both have done work that has made our country the leading force in the world. Bask in your accomplishments, and SHARE the love. Been following both your posts to know this crap doesn't reflect either of your character, and if you do have the need to keep smashing each other, why not take it to your inbox(s) and hammer each other there. It hurts me to see this happening to two friends.

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Sorry, broke my own rule (thinking that 3rd beer had a hand in it :rolleyes:, I'm off the rest of the week, and they were calling my name). PistonBoy and I are 'cool' as far as I know. Have really enjoyed his input to the forum. Definitely a sharp guy. (Kissing and making up...Metaphorically speaking ;)).

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, everyone knows that it is the engineers that are clueless. :)
I'm joking (sort of), of course, and not intended as a slight against any individual engineer (some of my closest friends are engineers in various disciplines), but in my experience, engineers do tend to forget that what is possible on paper isn't always feasibile in reality.
And then of course, there are emails like this:
While the Description you quoted below gives a brief overview of the scope, the Construction Requirements specifically dictate requirements. Those requirements prescribe that the speed tables shall be constructed in accordance with the provided detail. ... I would also like to stress the importance of constructing the speed tables to the exact dimensions provided.
Remember the requirements dictate requirements and those requirements state what is required. Also, it is important to remember that the requirements are required.

nthawk68

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Two (very talented and educated) boys having a pissing contest??!!, but after it's all said, you both have done work that has made our country the leading force in the world. Bask in your accomplishments, and SHARE the love. Been following both your posts to know this crap doesn't reflect either of your character, and if you do have the need to keep smashing each other, why not take it to your inbox(s) and hammer each other there. It hurts me to see this happening to two friends.
This thread made me remember my dad, he was an engineer and I was a knucklebuster (Aircraft Mechanic) and we would get so frustrated as we did tasks together. He would want everything planned out with the exact procedure set in stone and detailed plans, where I would backyard engineer it on the fly, he would smirk when step 5 had to be redone because I winged step 5, but ultimately we would get the job done, with me getting frustrated in the planning stage and he during the process, but bottom line, it took both of us to get it done right.....

It is more fun when everyone in the sandbox is playing nice.....

Top Bottom