• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

Mrtoycrazy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My mother's Taurus was that way. There was one spark plug we never did change, because we could never figure out how to get to it with only 2" clearance in the engine compartment...
Don't you know you just take the intake manifold off . How simple is that ? Make sure the ignition wires are right before reassembly or you may have to disassemble again. Who the ---- designed that?

NSTG8R

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't you know you just take the intake manifold off . How simple is that ? Make sure the ignition wires are right before reassembly or you may have to disassemble again. Who the ---- designed that?

The same genius that designed my bro-in-law's Berretta [at least I think it was a Berretta...working at a dealership, he had a ton of different cars]. Had to unbolt the back motor mount (transverse V6), and rotate the engine and tranny with a floor jack to get to the back plugs.

Completely forgot what the "tough questions" of this thread were, but at least we're back on an automotive related topic. :D

BADBOY

Elio Addict
Reaction score
In '73 when I discharged from Marines, I ordered a 1974 Pontiac Lemans from tires up. First oil change, I jacked up right front and crawled under. An tubular "bar" had been bolted across the the space at bottom of filter. Filter could be unscrewed but then hit bar and could not come out. Had my dad (much stronger than I) use a socket wrench but could not loose. Had to take off work and take to dealer who removed saying no reason for it.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
My statement as to the Gov not really caring is related to durability and not mandated equipment nor EPA. Ride quality, durability of powertrain and components, cockpit noise, handling and comfort ect. are unregulated and still can make or break Elio....

Regarding ride quality, it occurs to me that a 3-wheeler has a much greater chance of hitting potholes. With 4 wheels you can often straddle a pothole and a motorcycle could swerve around one, but a 3-wheeler trails down the middle so straddling a pothole may not help.

In general, a trailing single wheel will absorb the shock that two normally would even out. I can handle that on shorter trips. Hopefully they'll have some clever suspension to minimize impacts, or seat options to help.

Some videos show a noticeably bucking ride, e.g. at 4:48 here, unless that's just a washboard section:

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding ride quality, it occurs to me that a 3-wheeler has a much greater chance of hitting potholes. With 4 wheels you can often straddle a pothole and a motorcycle could swerve around one, but a 3-wheeler trails down the middle so straddling a pothole may not help.

In general, a trailing single wheel will absorb the shock that two normally would even out. I can handle that on shorter trips. Hopefully they'll have some clever suspension to minimize impacts, or seat options to help.

Some videos show a noticeably bucking ride, e.g. at 4:48 here, unless that's just a washboard section:

JCar, this topic has been covered quite extensively on some of the forums and the general opinion is that it has not been a problem for the Can-Am Spyder and should not be a problem for the Elio. It's just a matter of driver awareness and learning how to drive it.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Elio is using a lot of "off the shelf" items and thus will avoid a lot of engineering pitfalls that they would encounter if they were starting from scratch. The Elio is, of course, not considered a car so they don't HAVE to meet any of the standards. However, the intent is to meet standards anyway. As far as investing in a car in the first year of production... Well, the most collectible cars are always the first run! :) Actually, I went in to show my support for the concept and company. I figured that it was well past time for a car that met needs vs. wants. It is silly to drive around a bunch of empty seats (I have an F-350 for crying out loud) when you can get by with a lighter, smaller, more efficient vehicle. I also figured that parts suppliers are much more likely to gear towards producing Elio parts if there is a known market. If the door handle guy gets a call to make 10 handles, he might not be keen to make molds... get called to make 50,000, heck yes!

Many full-sized pickup trucks use big engines to haul around cargo-less steel 80% of the time, or loads that could be handled with smaller trucks or cars. Major fuel wasters. I see a lot of them driven for ego more than anything; too shiny to have seen real duty. A good sign of "conservatism" (i.e. actual conservation) in America would be a decline in large truck sales except for utility reasons.

Top Bottom