• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Somewhat Tough Questions...

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
JCar, this topic has been covered quite extensively on some of the forums and the general opinion is that it has not been a problem for the Can-Am Spyder and should not be a problem for the Elio. It's just a matter of driver awareness and learning how to drive it.

It still depends on the quality of roads, since there's a finite amount of pothole dodging one can do, especially at night. I would get used to driving something more fragile and lower slung. Pluses still greatly outweigh minuses.

JCar

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Welcome!!
I think they are looking to call the Elio an "Autocycle". This way it avoids adverse regulations for both motorcycles and automobiles.
We all are here waiting for that astounding flurry of activity which would indicate an attempt at building the actual Vehicles.
I have put my money on this for a verity of reasons but mostly because it is all kinds of nifty. So as long as they get it completed somewhere in my lifespan (sooner better than later) I'm good with it.
So pull up your computer an come along for the ride.
You will find out the most info. here.
MK

It's not.
Well, it does say "CAPLESS". :)
View attachment 3884

I sure hope it locks or can be fitted with an aftermarket locking cap. I still see some new cars w/o locking gas caps and it makes no sense. I'd invent something myself.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's not.

I sure hope it locks or can be fitted with an aftermarket locking cap. I still see some new cars w/o locking gas caps and it makes no sense. I'd invent something myself.
:)The latest with the capless fuel-filler that’s gaining popularity. While easy to regard as the answer to a question nobody asked, capless fueling has some interesting attributes, most of them good, but not all:
-Less chance for gas smell on your hands. You simply flip open the fuel door and stick the pump nozzle in. Not having a twist-on/off cap is one less contact with a gasoline-vapor odor source.
-No worries about paint scratching from the dangling gas cap, which manages never, ever to fit properly into whatever holder or restraint the automaker provides to keep it out of the way during fueling.
-No embarrassing cap-dangle that’s a result of driving off in a hurry and forgetting to put the cap back on.
-Minimal chance of bad guys siphoning out your $4 gas. Capless systems use various mechanisms in the fuel-filler neck that make it nearly impossible to stuff in a garden hose and drain a victim’s tank.
-No more discomfort for people with arthritis or other impairments that make the act of twisting a cap awkward or painful.
But there are drawbacks. -While limiting the fuel smell that gets on your hands, capless systems can increase the gas smell coming from the vehicle. If you try to fill the tank even a little bit more after the gas station pump clicks off, you’re likely to get headache-level fuel fumes pouring from the area of the filler neck until you drive awhile. Don’t even consider over-filling the tank and driving right home to park in your garage.:rolleyes:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
But there are drawbacks. -While limiting the fuel smell that gets on your hands, capless systems can increase the gas smell coming from the vehicle. If you try to fill the tank even a little bit more after the gas station pump clicks off, you’re likely to get headache-level fuel fumes pouring from the area of the filler neck until you drive awhile. Don’t even consider over-filling the tank and driving right home to park in your garage.:rolleyes:

interesting, that's a new one on me ... info appreciated

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Regarding ride quality, it occurs to me that a 3-wheeler has a much greater chance of hitting potholes. With 4 wheels you can often straddle a pothole and a motorcycle could swerve around one, but a 3-wheeler trails down the middle so straddling a pothole may not help.
Most of the potholes (I work in the road construction industry; I've seen my share) I've encountered are nearer the edges of the lane. I spent the better part of today staring at a basketball sized one that 3 out for 5 cars hit out of the thousand or so that dove past.

Catia

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I also have heard some stories of fuel nozzels getting stuck against the spring loaded tank cover when trying to remove it.
Certain Fuel Station Nozzles and Easy Fuel™ Capless Don't Mix

What to know before attempting to re-fuel

Your vehicle is equipped with the Easy Fuel capless fuel system. This system uses a spring loaded flapper door to seal fuel vapors and liquids within the system. Some recent fuel station nozzles have a sleeve at the nozzle tip that may become loose or fall off. This nozzle problem may not allow you to insert or remove the fuel nozzle from your vehicle. This is not a defect of your vehicle’s Easy Fuel capless fuel system.

Inspecting the fuel station fuel filler nozzle before re-fueling

Before attempting to re-fuel your vehicle you should inspect the nozzle tip. If the nozzle sleeve is missing, the fuel station nozzle may not be able to activate the Easy Fuel capless flapper door. If the nozzle sleeve is loose or gapped out of place, the nozzle may become trapped inside the capless device after insertion.
fuelnozzle_advice.png

Top Bottom