• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sondors Electric Car

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There is even an article that briefly also talks about Elio: http://gas2.org/2016/10/07/sondors-electric-car-everything-elio-not/

If it goes anything like the eBike, it will get built using 100% Chinese parts and labor, hit the pricepoint but then tack on heavy shipping/delivery fees, and have very little in the way of actual engineering. But it will get built.

I was in the process of building my ebike when they first started taking orders for his original bike, back when it was called the "Storm", I think? They initially made BIG claims regarding mileage that they eventually reined in to realistic range for their small battery. What they ended up making and delivering was a cheap but decent quality no-frills ebike with off-the-shelf parts at a pretty small profit margin, but sold A LOT of them. Last I heard it was 15,000. Sound familiar? They sold for $500, but had a steep $200 delivery fee. It was still a bargain at $700 if you were in the market for an electric assist 20 MPH ebike.

I was building essentially a 40-50 MPH electric motorcycle on a bike frame so was not the target audience, but I understand the appeal. Mine only cost around $800 to be faster with more range and better gear, but also spent many weekends on the build and no warranty.

What I love about Elio is that they are trying really hard to engineer a good vehicle. Not just slap together some parts under pretty bodywork and call it a day. There is a difference between working and working well, and from what I have seen Elio is trying to work well. Sondors may surprise, and I hope he does, but for now I am going to keep putting my excess investment money into Elio.
Fewer off the shelf parts to slap together on an ev. The best investment strategy is to diversify limited investment dollars.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think he has greatly underestimated the task of creating this vehicle. He has slapped a low price on it to garner public interest, but I think he has a snowball's chance of reaching production of a roadworthy model at that price point with a useful range.

My humble opinion of course...

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but it's currently the "price matters, range doesn't" option, and I don't think too many people will be interested in that.
I agree. This type of freeway capable vehicle with a 50mi range is going to be perceived as useless.
Did that SE page (or video) say what the target prices of the battery upgrades are?
If the quality is there, a 200mi radius would still be extremely competitive @ $18K or under.
Especially if the US federal government extends the $2500 EMC tax credit incentive into the next two or three years.
If all that were to happen, you'd be looking at a quality 3-seat EV with a 200mi range for $15,500 after the federal rebate.
Even less if your state still has an incentive program when the time comes for you to buy one.
I think the Elio's price has shifted public thinking as far as what an acceptable price for a three wheeler is.

Last edited:

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It is pretty. Maybe we could create an ICE conversion package and still be under $7,000. Or, maybe not.
I think there will be some interesting "kit car" options for Elio if it does materialize at the $7.3K price point. I mean, why NOT take the hacksaw to something so inexpensive to replace? :D

//but not mine, dammit! :eek::p

BigWarpGuy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I think that looks nice. It has elements of the Elio and the Polaris Switchblade.
8TvInR3ogvv2-2R3TTalIpww-1h8_PkxDjvwBy_mOKBuOSaFABrU4uuLlFJRs2mGkHyM7Tvo1wpuiFbMOi35fShymU1njN2W.png

Top Bottom