• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Space In The Hood

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Doubt a slight increase in width would affect mileage if frontal area was the SAME...
On HVAC, ELIO before finalizing body should have sent a chassis to Reddot BEFORE doing so.
You're quite right ... if the frontal area is the same AND if the related surfaces equal out for aerodynamic efficiency. Mate it pointier?

Build it RIGHT!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Yes that's a challenge. Not the same thing as RedDit is unhappy.
Ok, so they aren't unhappy, wrong word used....RedDot the HVAC supplier in which one of -E- Series was sent to what 2 weeks ago now for the first time (right?) are finding it a "challenge" to design the HVAC system...

Last edited:

TheAsterisk!

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I hope the guys at RedDot don't have the same mindset!!!
If so the ELIO, as it relates to the comfort of the rear passenger is going to get BAD reviews.
It's bad enough enough rear passenger is TRAPPED behind the driver and can't see the roadway, in a space that has NO EXIT door...
(If driver is incapacitated in a wreck, rear passenger is TRAPPED big time...)
Meh. I anticipate that there will be a spate of bad reviews, anyway, just because (1) it's kind of goofy looking by normal standards, (2) it's neither pure electric nor a hybrid, (3) it's a new platform, and (4) it's ultimately a low cost vehicle that's being anticipated as if it were a car retailing for two to three times the stated price goal. I don't anticipate most of those negative reviews will have serious merit, so much as I anticipate lots of whining that it's different and not exactly what everyone is already used to. There will probably be lots of moaning about how a 3-cylinder engine sounds, as if it were some sort of grand surprise to suddenly-naive automotive journalists. All that should settle out after a couple of weeks if there aren't serious electrical, mechanical or structural issues at launch, and the sun will still rise in the east.

I also challenge anyone to find a cheap compact or subcompact two-door car that allows for easy egress from the back seat, just for an apples-to-apples standard.
So far as cost, ELIO should already planned for such due to tandem seating arrangement, and reasons noted above.
Perhaps their plan simply differs from yours? Perhaps it differs from mine, too? A different or as-yet-undisclosed plan would still be a plan, of course.
Regardless to the delays it might cause HVAC system should have been fleshed out and tested before gearing up to make the chassis in steel.
Provided it's a core design goal, yes. Otherwise, on the cost-benefit analysis, if that would cause another significant delay, I'm fine with an iffy AC/heat distribution to the rear seat to save a few more months, with a later design revision after first block or year production. (Has EM mentioned somewhere if they're doing series/variant, block, or more traditional automotive year-designated production runs?)
Hope RedDot can get it worked out.
Indeed.

EM should add a hump to the left side of the Elio to match the right side hump that hides the exhaust. They can then use the left side hump to route an HVAC conduit to bring ventilation to the passenger.
I assumed they relegated the exhaust sponson to the right side specifically to avoid interfering with the left-hand door? If not, then that's something to consider at least, depending on how much of the production tooling is already ordered.

Yep, all two door vehicles these days have releases that would allow rear passenger(s) to ESCAPE, but the BIG difference is that in a regular car rear passenger(s) have a heck of a lot more room to maneuver, and it is unlikely both persons would be incapacitated.
Even if both were dead, typically persons could crawl between the seats to freedom.
Clearly, you've never been in a small two-door with a few of your fat friends. No room, no way. Try it in something like a late-nineties Olds Alero coupe, and find out. I'm a fairly slim guy, and it wasn't feasible.
So, Are opening rear windows standard?
They're too small to fit out of, anyway. I might fit out the "trunk", but most full-grown adult humans won't, particularly if they've just been in a collision. Also, again, reference other cheap coupes for apples-to-apples, instead of this apples-to-passion fruit approach for which you've shown a predilection so far.

FYI, "challenge" is polite managerial language for "PITA", but it also can be sales and PR language directed at other clients for "Hey, check it out! Our company doesn't afraid of anything! Do your worst! We are top-notch! We worked on that wacky three-wheeler, see? We can set up your dump truck cab HVAC, no problem! Your platform will be a cakewalk!"
Or something like that, anyway.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
OK he's a troll. Move along
And who put you in charge of judging members?
That's where we watch over all the members and do what is necessary.
I've been following his posts, and while his online name sounds like something from a Mike Holmes Show, he hasn't don't anything to earn that tag.

BiR you do need to go and search for the conversation we've had in the past about the very topic you're asking about.
Go dig, and if I get a chance, I'll send the link to it.
A lot easier then rehashing the topic from the beginning ...... again. K?

Stephen Workman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ok the driver is "incapacitated" as in knocked out, or D-E-A-D, how is rear seat passenger getting out?

Are rear windows the type that open, or are they fixed (Glued in).
For safety reasons, opening rear windows should be STANDARD as they can in a accident be pushed/pryed open/removed.

Q: Are rear opening windows standard?
Q: Is there enough room for a adult, to fold down rear seat so they could exit via the hatch?
Build it RIGHT!,
These are all vaild points - for someone who should strongly consider a vehicle that is NOT the current iteration of the Elio. There are several other vehicles that might meet your needs and have already addressed your concerns. Perhaps you should look elsewhere for awhile.

CrimsonEclipse

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And who put you in charge of judging members?
That's where we watch over all the members and do what is necessary.
I've been following his posts, and while his online name sounds like something from a Mike Holmes Show, he hasn't don't anything to earn that tag.

BiR you do need to go and search for the conversation we've had in the past about the very topic you're asking about.
Go dig, and if I get a chance, I'll send the link to it.
A lot easier then rehashing the topic from the beginning ...... again. K?

I judge everyone, even you and especially myself.

It's a FUD (Fear Uncertainty Doubt) Tactic.
I figured that you'd know that.

"I love the car but people will die in the back seat." It attempts to quickly gain credibility while casting FUD about the product.
Then there accusations of HVAC design difficulty while refusing a reference.

If it came from a 1000 post veteran, I'd think twice about using the "T" word.

I'll keep watching, I'll repent if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom