• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Spark Plug Question

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
http://e3sparkplugs.com/

I ran these plugs in my S-Type Jag, the 4.2l V8. Went from 28 to 32 MPG on the highway. I also ran regular gas in the Jag without problems. Anyone else use/using these plugs with similar increased performance?
I have, and run them in all my lawn equipment, they will fire anything.
They are a little more expensive, but my opinion on AC Delco stuff is low, they used to be good, but the quality has really slipped.
I run those, or Bosch plugs in everything.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I liked the idea of the K&N air filter, if anything, go to the FIPK Filter for it, I run those on all my vehicles, and love them.
Little expensive up front, but well worth it in the long run.

KenK

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Gas is really bad lately, I talked to this one guy that does small engine repair; he told me "premium only" in your lawn equipment.
He showed me what he pulls out of these motors that he does, and it's junk! 60% fuel, 40%water (plus we had a long wet winter).
So like someone else said, pick up the grade of your gas, and go to something good; even if it is a little more expensive, it's worth it in the long run.
Unless you like having vehicles that run like crud.

This makes no sense. You are not paying for higher quality gas when you buy 93 octane fuel, you are paying for the boosted octane, which has nothing to do with quality and everything to do with knock resistance.

Premium costs 15-30 cents more a gallon than regular. In a consumer notice, the Federal Trade Commission, notes: “In most cases, using a higher-octane gasoline than your owner's manual recommends offers absolutely no benefit. It won't make your car perform better, go faster, get better mileage or run cleaner.”

If you have a problem getting water in your fuel, it probably affects all fuel storage tanks at that site. Go buy your gas somewhere else entirely.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a problem getting water in your fuel, it probably affects all fuel storage tanks at that site. Go buy your gas somewhere else entirely.
It has to do with where I live; we had a very long wet winter and spring. I'm not going to relocate just for gas.
And I run a good grade of gas, that just happens to have a discount card with it. And with money being as tight as it is, not going to trade that off.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
https://www.pure-gas.org/

Would using ethanol-free gas do better than using higher octane premium fuel? Is it 'better' or just more expensive? I recall that in small engines, the ethanol can be bad for the components. So is the Elio 3-banger considered a small engine?
Is it a small engine? Yes.
A 3 cylinder. 1,000cc (ok 999cc) and is supposed to run on regular. I'll probably run mine on mid-grade, the same as my cars.

Top Bottom