• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Start Saving Those Aluminium Cans

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When the Elio Team was here in the Portland area, It was stated that they had plans in working, for three new types of Elio's... in 3-5 years from production start... Elio Motors will start building a Electric Elio's, a Propane/LPG Elio's, and a Hybrid Elio...

They did say that for the first 2 years of production, they were only going to make the regular gas Elio..But the options that the Elio would have, will keep changing and improving as the Elio Motors grows in size and in numbers...

Sounds like the biggest money maker to be made, is in the Elio options... not the basic/standard Elio...

They also plan on starting World Wide Sales in 2 years... after there are about 500,000 Elio's on the streets and highways of the US first ...

What kind of MPG would a Hybrid Elio get?... if you are already starting with 84 mpg and 49 mpg city... 130 mpg? 80 mpg city?

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a Hybrid Elio after 2 years..??? or could you have YOUR own personal Elio upgraded to a Hybrid?? another option maybe??

Proud to Be... an Elio owner...#2225

Paladin4Elio

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Elio Team was here in the Portland area, It was stated that they had plans in working, for three new types of Elio's... in 3-5 years from production start... Elio Motors will start building a Electric Elio's, a Propane/LPG Elio's, and a Hybrid Elio...

What kind of MPG would a Hybrid Elio get?... if you are already starting with 84 mpg and 49 mpg city... 130 mpg? 80 mpg city?

Would it be worth it to upgrade to a Hybrid Elio after 2 years..??? or could you have YOUR own personal Elio upgraded to a Hybrid?? another option maybe??

Proud to Be... an Elio owner...#2225
Hybrid does NOT help much w/hwy mpg because their advantage is in reduced gasoline burnt to get back up to speed after regen braking, and you don't do much braking on the hwy....

I'd SWAG a hybrid Elio would go from 84/49 to something like 86/60 mpg -- minimal increase in hwy mpg and ~20% increase in city mpg.

Last edited:

tazairforce

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Hybrid does NOT help much w/hwy mpg because their advantage is in reduced gasoline burnt to get back up to speed after regen braking, and you don't do much braking on the hwy....

I'd SWAG a hybrid Elio would go from 84/49 to something like 86/60 mpg -- minimal increase in hwy mpg and ~20% increase in hwy mp.
P 4 E,
I'm in for regular gas, for now. The future of Hybrid, very little increase in MPG, or Electric with the Hi priced batteries, to be replaced in a few years, that will end up in the 'Land Fill' is not appealing to me.

Your statement on 'SWAG' leaves me with a serious question. As I am well aware of what 'Wag' means (Wild Ass Guess), what does the 'S' mean??lol

RMClubfitter

Elio Addict
Reaction score
P 4 E,
I'm in for regular gas, for now. The future of Hybrid, very little increase in MPG, or Electric with the Hi priced batteries, to be replaced in a few years, that will end up in the 'Land Fill' is not appealing to me.

Your statement on 'SWAG' leaves me with a serious question. As I am well aware of what 'Wag' means (Wild Ass Guess), what does the 'S' mean??lol

Simple

Kail

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I wonder how they limit the reaction to occur only when you need power...?

Also this battery would not work as a primary battery for a hybrid-electric vehicle (as stated in the article) because it cannot be recharged (stated in the article). The reason hybrids are so efficient is that they keep the engine under optimum loading. When this is crates extra power the battery is charged. When this is not enough power the battery is depleted. In newer hybrids, when the battery is fully charged the vehicle runs on full electric until the battery charge falls below a threshold. This is why hybrids actually have better in town mileage than highway. For all intents and purposes the engine only every runs at one point they always puts out the same amount of power. The ultimate difference between highway and city driving as far as fuel efficiency is concerned in a hybrid is wind resistance.

Additionally, regeneretive breaking is not the same as hybrid or even electric. and technically does not require the vevicle in question to be either. regenerative breaking is the act of reducing the kenetic energy of the vehicle into potential energy in lieu of thermal energy which is what conventional brakes do. This is typically done using an electric motor as a generater and storing the energy in a battery. It could also be done using a mechanical transmission and storing the energy in a flywheel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom