• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Staying The Course

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After being on this forum for a few months I notice that a lot of folks have already come and gone. I suspect many are just quietly biding their time as they wait for their Elio but I wonder how many just lost interest and walked away.

The thing that got me thinking about this is that I had brunch with a rabid motorist that has been pursuing all manner of fuel efficient vehicles. He spent a number of years researching all the up and coming technologies to get the "straight scoop" as to what might be viable solutions to the world's ever increasing cost of transportation and its impact on the environment. While doing this research he was very depressed and saw no solution and even copped out when he published his works by saying the next generation would solve the problem.

So of course the first thing I ask him today is if he knew of Elio and what his thoughts were. He did know of the Elio and liked the idea of an 84mpg commuter vehicle but he was also convinced that the Elio would never raise the funding necessary to get into production. He hasn’t followed Elio for some time so he wasn’t aware that there was anything more than the P3 or that significant work has been done to move financing along. The surprising thing to me is that even though the Elio is a very real, very attainable solution to what he searched for, he has simply lost interest in following it as a solution.

The other amazing thing about his reactions is that he remains very involved in a number of electric vehicle solutions. His research has already convinced him that given today’s technology and infrastructure that electric vehicles cost too much, that the batteries are incredibly bad because of politics, scarcity of the minerals, and hazardous waste, and that if everybody plugs their electric cars in that the grid will melt, yet he continues to follow that technology.

Perhaps we need more people like Paul Elio that will stay the course with proven technology instead of others chasing shiny baubles of technology in the hope that someday that technology might be useful at an affordable price.

Elio is affordable, it's technology is available now, and all we need to do is stay the course until it is finally produced and in our garages sometime next year. Go Elio!

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
After being on this forum for a few months I notice that a lot of folks have already come and gone. I suspect many are just quietly biding their time as they wait for their Elio but I wonder how many just lost interest and walked away.

The thing that got me thinking about this is that I had brunch with a rabid motorist that has been pursuing all manner of fuel efficient vehicles. He spent a number of years researching all the up and coming technologies to get the "straight scoop" as to what might be viable solutions to the world's ever increasing cost of transportation and its impact on the environment. While doing this research he was very depressed and saw no solution and even copped out when he published his works by saying the next generation would solve the problem.

So of course the first thing I ask him today is if he knew of Elio and what his thoughts were. He did know of the Elio and liked the idea of an 84mpg commuter vehicle but he was also convinced that the Elio would never raise the funding necessary to get into production. He hasn’t followed Elio for some time so he wasn’t aware that there was anything more than the P3 or that significant work has been done to move financing along. The surprising thing to me is that even though the Elio is a very real, very attainable solution to what he searched for, he has simply lost interest in following it as a solution.

The other amazing thing about his reactions is that he remains very involved in a number of electric vehicle solutions. His research has already convinced him that given today’s technology and infrastructure that electric vehicles cost too much, that the batteries are incredibly bad because of politics, scarcity of the minerals, and hazardous waste, and that if everybody plugs their electric cars in that the grid will melt, yet he continues to follow that technology.

Perhaps we need more people like Paul Elio that will stay the course with proven technology instead of others chasing shiny baubles of technology in the hope that someday that technology might be useful at an affordable price.

Elio is affordable, it's technology is available now, and all we need to do is stay the course until it is finally produced and in our garages sometime next year. Go Elio!
Where is that "AMEN" when I need it. Great points and I agree. I have also watched people come and go but I hope they are simply watching from the sidelines ready to jump back in as we get closer to production. As my older son has told me, my glass is never half full or half empty; it is always at least 3/4 full. LOL :-) Z

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
thX2FRH2Q7.jpg
:D:rolleyes::)

ecdriver711

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Right on, right on, right on.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It's funny to me that so many are focusing on as-yet unproven or immature technologies for which an infrastructure for delivery is as yet unavailable. The US has massive deposits of fossil fuels, yet some would burn these in central power stations and distribute the resulting electricity for miles - sometimes hundreds of them - taking the electrical losses along the way. This isn't the way to efficiency.

Right now you can "fuel" your electric car for very little money, and that's great - if you are going 20 or 25 miles in a typical day. But you have to think about what you do for contingencies. Your daughter's school calls and she's in the nurse's office with a nosebleed - your company's best customer calls a meeting and you have to drive an additional 18 miles to show up on their doorstep - maybe you need to do some shopping but what you need is at another store across town . . . how will you handle the schedule changes that occur almost weekly with an electric car with limited range? What do you do when extreme temperatures cut your range even further, particularly in cold weather? Can you afford to spend several hours in a coffee shop trying to do business with your tablet and cell phone while your car re-charges?

But in time those who seek to put their hands in your pockets in Washington and your state legislature figure out you aren't paying your fair share of "road taxes" and slap you with another "mileage tax" due at registration. That 50¢ per gallon (plus or minus, depending on your state) you're paying now starts to look a lot better. So now that super techie electric car is beginning to lose some of its attractive qualities in the face of real-world application.

Elio, as currently represented, is using mature technologies, a proven infrastructure for fuel delivery, and a little outside-the-box engineering to achieve viable savings. Tandem seating best suits a commuter, a 1+1 if you will, for getting back and forth in the daily slog with just enough technology to be interesting without being overly expensive. It probably won't haul 4' X 8' sheets of drywall, it won't accommodate three kids and the dog on vacation, and it's probably not what you want to drive in a hurricane or blizzard. That's what that other 1.3 cars in the American driveway are for. Here's an idea: throw a small pad of paper on the console and mark down all of the trips you make in a month that could be easily handled in your Elio. Mark others with a notation as to why you need the extra space. Keep records of mileage of each trip if you're going to be picky with this, and at the end of 60-90 days look over your record. Would a "$6,800 car" offering fantastic gas mileage and a new car warranty be a good idea for at least ONE of the cars in your driveway?

Thought so.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Where is that "AMEN" when I need it. Great points and I agree. I have also watched people come and go but I hope they are simply watching from the sidelines ready to jump back in as we get closer to production. As my older son has told me, my glass is never half full or half empty; it is always at least 3/4 full. LOL :) Z

Amen! Mine Runneth Over! :D

outsydthebox

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Your friend sounds familiar. Many people are "jaded" by all of the lies and "half truths" in their "day to day" lives,that they just won't believe anything until they see it in person, see others with it, or can HAVE IT NOW! There is such a need for the Elio, that I can't see ANYONE saying "too late, I'm over it". I feel confident that WHEN it is in production, these folks will jump in with both feet!

Last edited:

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your friend sounds familiar. Many people are "jaded" by all of the lies and "half truths" that they just won't believe anything until they see it in person, see others with it, and can HAVE IT NOW! There is such a need for the Elio, that I can't see ANYONE saying "too late, I'm over it". I feel confident that WHEN it is in production, these folks will jump in with both feet!

I completely agree. I think another thing to consider is that compared to a normal car forum there isn't a ton to talk about as we don't have actual cars to discuss. I think a lot of those people are just on the side lines until the time is closer.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Your friend sounds familiar. Many people are "jaded" by all of the lies and "half truths" that they just won't believe anything until they see it in person, see others with it, and can HAVE IT NOW! There is such a need for the Elio, that I can't see ANYONE saying "too late, I'm over it". I feel confident that WHEN it is in production, these folks will jump in with both feet!
Except they will all have to wait until we get ours. LOL :-) Z

Top Bottom