• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Staying The Course

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
upload_2014-8-25_16-11-33.jpeg

Danno

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
After being on this forum for a few months I notice that a lot of folks have already come and gone. I suspect many are just quietly biding their time as they wait for their Elio but I wonder how many just lost interest and walked away.

The thing that got me thinking about this is that I had brunch with a rabid motorist that has been pursuing all manner of fuel efficient vehicles. He spent a number of years researching all the up and coming technologies to get the "straight scoop" as to what might be viable solutions to the world's ever increasing cost of transportation and its impact on the environment. While doing this research he was very depressed and saw no solution and even copped out when he published his works by saying the next generation would solve the problem.

So of course the first thing I ask him today is if he knew of Elio and what his thoughts were. He did know of the Elio and liked the idea of an 84mpg commuter vehicle but he was also convinced that the Elio would never raise the funding necessary to get into production. He hasn’t followed Elio for some time so he wasn’t aware that there was anything more than the P3 or that significant work has been done to move financing along. The surprising thing to me is that even though the Elio is a very real, very attainable solution to what he searched for, he has simply lost interest in following it as a solution.

The other amazing thing about his reactions is that he remains very involved in a number of electric vehicle solutions. His research has already convinced him that given today’s technology and infrastructure that electric vehicles cost too much, that the batteries are incredibly bad because of politics, scarcity of the minerals, and hazardous waste, and that if everybody plugs their electric cars in that the grid will melt, yet he continues to follow that technology.

Perhaps we need more people like Paul Elio that will stay the course with proven technology instead of others chasing shiny baubles of technology in the hope that someday that technology might be useful at an affordable price.

Elio is affordable, it's technology is available now, and all we need to do is stay the course until it is finally produced and in our garages sometime next year. Go Elio!

I agree with a lot of what you said...I will try to answer your initial question about forum participants coming and going.
Basically I entered the forum with an open mind to get information, to feel like part of the movement to help America get back on it's feet and bring jobs back to the states. In that mindset, if you go through so many of the threads, you realize how ignorant most people are about something that is designed to be simple, fuel efficient and economically priced for the majority. Read the threads on what people want as options...the car will cost $20,000! Why buy it? Look at the modifications people want included...again, more cost, more time, more research.
My answer to you, people come and go on this forum site because of the morons on here who have to post everything they can think of just for the attention.
The funny stuff, yes, hilarious and makes us feel like part of a unique group of believers. But unfortunately, like usual, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the attention so it takes away from the people who just want to read intelligent threads.

I realize I will be chastised and hounded and possibly kicked off the forum but when it comes down to it, the moderators need to tighten up the belt and get rid of some of the nonsense on here. Welcome new members, point them to the info., answer their questions...but the people who want extra lights on their fenders because they don't think they will be seen (Elio is as big as half of a Camry!!!), to the people who want all the options...then wait and order them for your car and leave mine alone!!! To all the people who think the gas cap is on the wrong side of the car...REALLY?? Get a life! If you want or have to have a rear view mirror or camera, then learn how to drive! Have you never driven a rental truck before?? Lol

I'll just lurk from here on...and wait for my Elio to be built.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I agree with a lot of what you said...I will try to answer your initial question about forum participants coming and going.
Basically I entered the forum with an open mind to get information, to feel like part of the movement to help America get back on it's feet and bring jobs back to the states. In that mindset, if you go through so many of the threads, you realize how ignorant most people are about something that is designed to be simple, fuel efficient and economically priced for the majority. Read the threads on what people want as options...the car will cost $20,000! Why buy it? Look at the modifications people want included...again, more cost, more time, more research.
My answer to you, people come and go on this forum site because of the morons on here who have to post everything they can think of just for the attention.
The funny stuff, yes, hilarious and makes us feel like part of a unique group of believers. But unfortunately, like usual, the squeaky wheel gets the grease and the attention so it takes away from the people who just want to read intelligent threads.

I realize I will be chastised and hounded and possibly kicked off the forum but when it comes down to it, the moderators need to tighten up the belt and get rid of some of the nonsense on here. Welcome new members, point them to the info., answer their questions...but the people who want extra lights on their fenders because they don't think they will be seen (Elio is as big as half of a Camry!!!), to the people who want all the options...then wait and order them for your car and leave mine alone!!! To all the people who think the gas cap is on the wrong side of the car...REALLY?? Get a life! If you want or have to have a rear view mirror or camera, then learn how to drive! Have you never driven a rental truck before?? Lol

I personally hope you do more than lurk. If you learn to ignore (literally) the people whose posts bother you, it makes it much more pleasant to be here. We can all learn things and sometimes there are people on board who are energy vampires but that is no reason to leave. At least I don't think so and as you well know - I am biased and not the least bit humble in my opinions. :-) Z

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Options? Yes, people want options. Why buy it? Who cares? I don't care if somebody blows 20 grand on a decked out Elio, it's not my money nor is it my concern. What if somebody wants to drop a Honda engine in it and a stereo?!? Buy what YOU want... forget everyone else. Yes, more time/research/money... oh well, we're waiting a long time as it is. I have a $43,000 Wrangler... why did I buy it? BECAUSE I...not you... I WANTED IT. And how is the mindset of adding options ignorance? Yes, added cost, added weight, decreased MPG, some people aren't hell bent on getting the full 84mpg out of this car... I'm not. I can add a huge stereo, get 75mpg and still be thrilled. Maybe some people figure "Hey, that $500 All In money would be good to put toward a couple options I want". Point being most people aren't thinking that the options are free and won't have adverse affects on performance and mpg. That isn't the point.

Funny stuff? This is a car forum, not Wikipedia. It isn't nonsense, it's adding to the conversation in most cases. If you don't like it, then www.eliomotors.com has much less humor on it than this site.

No rear view camera? Eh... I had one in my Mustang which I loved, but I (and most people) don't require it, just a handy thing to have IMO. I could also tell somebody that they need to learn how to drive for buying an automatic... it's a convenience not a requirement.

I do agree with you on the gas door conversation. I've never in my life thought about it when buying a vehicle. I will say having it in the center like some of the old GM cars (behind the license plate) would be handy, however on the center and on the top like my Triumph Spitfire... not handy. Other than that, put it on the left or right, doesn't matter.

Also, as to the lights on the fenders. Idk who made that comment, but the idea most likely is this. Imagine meeting an Elio at night. only the center is lit, not the fender wells. Wouldn't be too hard for somebody to hit you thinking you were a motorcycle (remember, we share the roads with old people who don't see too well) and clip a fender as it isn't lit. I think reflectors would be good on them, not lights though as then they would turn with the vehicle and blind people in a few circumstances. I say if the concern is to be seen, buy it in a bright color. I'm still kicking around Sour Apple, Creamsicle and True Blue for this exact reason.

/rant.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Snip:
I do agree with you on the gas door conversation. I've never in my life thought about it when buying a vehicle. I will say having it in the center like some of the old GM cars (behind the license plate) would be handy, however on the center and on the top like my Triumph Spitfire... not handy. Other than that, put it on the left or right, doesn't matter. end of quote

I drove a car with the gas cap behind the license plate and it was a total pain. I was constantly getting my hand cut or bruised because of the spring on the license plate frame slamming shut on my hand. The car was my mothers and a Cadillac. I swore I would never ever own a Cadillac after that experience. LOL Not that I ever made enough money to own a Cadillac but even if I had I would have bought anything but that. :) Z

OK that is my rant for this month. It is a good thing the month is almost over just in case I want to have another one sometime soon. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Dusty921

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My 94 jeep wrangler has fenders that stick out quite a distance further than the headlights which are almost as close together as the Elio and I'm not aware of being mistaken for a motorcycle at night. Yea, I know they have marker lights, but they are only visible from the side.
My vote is for us to keep our Elios as EM had intended them to be in the first place. An 84mpg, 6,800 dollar, slick little US made fun car. Then customize them to our hearts content.

ncarter124

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I drove a car with the gas cap behind the license plate and it was a total pain. I was constantly getting my hand cut or bruised because of the spring on the license plate frame slamming shut on my hand. The car was my mothers and a Cadillac. I swore I would never ever own a Cadillac after that experience. LOL Not that I ever made enough money to own a Cadillac but even if I had I would have bought anything but that. :) Z
That's because you're supposed to wedge the gas cap into the small half-circle in the license plate bracket, at least that's how my '86 Monte Carlo was. I actually believe that may have been added after the fact due to this exact issue, yours may not have had that.

My 94 jeep wrangler has fenders that stick out quite a distance further than the headlights which are almost as close together as the Elio and I'm not aware of being mistaken for a motorcycle at night.

Mine are the same way, but they do bubble out just a touch and can be seen at a very narrow angle off the front. The Elio won't require this as it isn't technically a car and thus isn't going to have to comply to the lighting height and width requirements as a normal car, however I think just a tiny reflector would be good, thats all.

My vote is for us to keep our Elios as EM had intended them to be in the first place. An 84mpg, 6,800 dollar, slick little US made fun car. Then customize them to our hearts content.

Agreed. :)

Last edited:

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score

Another suggestion for you Danno - one I have thought of doing myself. You can choose to unwatch the entire thread. I have been tempted to do that with the one about access to the gas tank but every once in a while someone will post something actually worth reading on it so haven't done it yet. Just a thought. :-) Z

Jeff Miller

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So another observation is that many of the same topics come up over and over. I myself like to state my point of view and then let others respond in kind. I see no need to force people to believe what I do, nor do I see a need to repeat myself endlessly.

I am still staying the course but I find that most of my newer posts are not Elio specific. When I learn something new or have an opinion on some new Elio related thing I'll certainly post again. In the meantime, I've been contemplating posting responses that point to threads that already cover many of the same topics over and over and over. :)

Dustoff

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So another observation is that many of the same topics come up over and over. I myself like to state my point of view and then let others respond in kind. I see no need to force people to believe what I do, nor do I see a need to repeat myself endlessly.

I am still staying the course but I find that most of my newer posts are not Elio specific. When I learn something new or have an opinion on some new Elio related thing I'll certainly post again. In the meantime, I've been contemplating posting responses that point to threads that already cover many of the same topics over and over and over. :)

:p:D:rolleyes::)

Top Bottom