• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sun Visors , Sun Roof, Moon Roof, Glass Roof, Convertible?

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
As an aging motorcycle enthusiast, The Elio MUST have a removable top, or at least a convertable option, or else they can keep it. Does anyone know if they will offer a removable top? Or a convertable?

IF YOU LOOK AT THE INTEGRATED CHASSIS STRUCTURE , YOU WILL SEE THAT A GREAT DEAL OF THE STRENGTH
COMES FROM FRAMEWORK COMPLETELY AROUND THE DOOR OPENING .

A CONVERTIBLE WOULD CREATE MASSIVE STRUCTURAL PROBLEMS THAT WOULD REQUIRE A MAJOR
STRUCTURAL RE-DESIGN . SO NO , THERE WILL NOT BE A CONVERTIBLE ELIO FOR AWHILE .

THAT BEING SAID , IT REALLY WOULD BE WORTH THE EFFORT AND LIKELY WILL BE A FUTURE MODEL
ONCE THEY GET THEM OUT ON THE ROADS IN SIGNIFICANT NUMBERS . I WANT ONE TOO !

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
David, the person that wrote that in April 2014 hasn't been back since he wrote it 4-11-2014.

It also changes the category for the Elio to make it a motorcycle since it's not enclosed.

DAVID BROWER

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It also changes the category for the Elio to make it a motorcycle since it's not enclosed.

THAT WOULD BE A STATE BY STATE ISSUE .

THE MESSERSCHMITT KR-200 WAS AVAILABLE WITH AN OPEN OR CLOSED TOP
AS FAR AS I KNOW , IT MADE NO DIFFERENCE IN THE TITLING CATEGORY
BUT THEN , THE TERM "AUTOCYCLE" HADN'T BEEN INVENTED YET .

schmitt201-00.jpg

Frim

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I actually considered that concept before I wrote my post. There are probably numerous engineering solutions that can work.
I dislike simplistic practical solutions. They negate the need for my complicated, sophisticated, problem solving mind. I don't get to star.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The most simple solution for the sun visor is to utilize 2 visors piggybacked one atop of the other. At any given time 1 could be moved to side while the other is lowered in front of the driver. Easily switched to either side. With no rear view mirror would be easily installed and easy to use.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The most simple solution for the sun visor is to utilize 2 visors piggybacked one atop of the other. At any given time 1 could be moved to side while the other is lowered in front of the driver. Easily switched to either side. With no rear view mirror would be easily installed and easy to use.
It would be cheaper to just use one with the two pivot points vs. using two with each having a pivot point.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ty --- Considering the additional machinery involved in a visor that could pivot from either end I'm not really sure it would be cheaper. Don't know how much sun visors cost but using 2 separate visors would solve all the visor related problems. I've also thought about having the visor mounted on a track across over the windshield and down both sides (common on aircraft). Afraid that configuration might interfere with the side curtain airbags though.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll stick with mine; this way too it won't interfere with the monitor in the visor.
upload_2016-7-8_20-39-29.png

And the roll up shades on both sides; if you want to make it really cool, make the blinds see through tinted film.

Kind of like these,

upload_2016-7-8_20-44-15.png

I would change the mounts so the shades would be tight against the top of the window opening.
This way, they won't interfere with the side airbags.

Top Bottom