• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sun Visors , Sun Roof, Moon Roof, Glass Roof, Convertible?

BilgeRat

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spotted an Elio answer on FB recently (looked, couldn't find it for here) that said that a convertible option was a non starter because with an open top, they'd have issues with still being in the autocycle classification.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed in pictures of the Elio, the sun visor appears to be mounted like a typical automobile, so you can pivot it down if the sun is in front of you, or swivel it to the left if the sun on that side of you, but what if the sun is on the right side of you? Is there any way to block the sun from the right side?
I don't think it would be difficult to design a "single" (you'll see why I'm putting this in quotes later) visor system to do this. It's mostly a matter of what it will cost and whether EM thinks it's worth it.

One could, for example, imagine a double visor system with two universal/ball joints, one in the middle (between and connecting the two visors) and one at the end. The joint at the end would be the mounting point for installing the visor system to the top center of the Elio's windshield in front of the driver. When it's not needed, the visor system can be folded up against the headliner. But when it's needed, the driver can rotate the double visor to the left or right. The second visor could then be unfolded to cover the window on that side. (Imagine a bifolding wallet that's been cut most of the way in the middle where the two halves are joined.)

Hmm, I think I'll patent this. :D

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I don't think it would be difficult to design a "single" (you'll see why I'm putting this in quotes later) visor system to do this. It's mostly a matter of what it will cost and whether EM thinks it's worth it.

One could, for example, imagine a double visor system with two universal/ball joints, one in the middle (between and connecting the two visors) and one at the end. The joint at the end would be the mounting point for installing the visor system to the top center of the Elio's windshield in front of the driver. When it's not needed, the visor system can be folded up against the headliner. But when it's needed, the driver can rotate the double visor to the left or right. The second visor could then be unfolded to cover the window on that side. (Imagine a bifolding wallet that's been cut most of the way in the middle where the two halves are joined.)

Hmm, I think I'll patent this. :D
Why not just have two pivots similar to what cars already have but make it so you can snap the visor out of either one?... You could pivot it down to block sun from in front, or unsnap whichever side you want in order to swing it the other way.

XanWolf

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I have seen some cases where there were two visors for the driver side. One could swing to the side and the other could only fold down. This allowed for a single setting to block the sun from either place as you wind back and forth on the road. Having two visors (on pivoting on either side) would allow for this double coverage. I have no idea what it might do to the style and all....

Rob Croson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I spotted an Elio answer on FB recently (looked, couldn't find it for here) that said that a convertible option was a non starter because with an open top, they'd have issues with still being in the autocycle classification.
This is definitely true.

In Ohio, the Elio is a "cab-enclosed motorcycle". This requires that "the occupant compartment top is in place enclosing the occupants". Having a convertible top down means that the "compartment top" is not in place. This means you no longer have a "cab-enclosed motorcycle", which means you fall under the motorcycle laws, and must be wearing "safety glasses or other protective eye device". If you are under 18 or a "novice" (i.e. have a learner's permit or have had your MC endorsement for less than one year) you must be wearing "a United States department of transportation-approved protective helmet". I *think* that a windshield qualifies as a "protective eye device". The law only states that it must "conform with rules adopted by the director of public safety".

Not only that, but the "cab-enclosed motorcycle" designation is what allows you to drive it without a motorcycle endorsement. If you had a convertible and wanted to drive it with the top down, you would have to have a motorcycle endorsement.

Quirks in the laws like this will probably eventually be ironed out. These are growing pains due to the rushed nature of the changing legislation. For now, Elio has to stick to the configuration that will enable them to sell to the everyman, so they can get to the volume delivery they need to make the idea work. Once that is achieved, then I don't doubt they will start work on other versions/options that may have less universal appeal, as well as continuing to lobby for more universal and standardized autocycle laws.

floydv

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Why not just have two pivots similar to what cars already have but make it so you can snap the visor out of either one?... You could pivot it down to block sun from in front, or unsnap whichever side you want in order to swing it the other way.
I actually considered that concept before I wrote my post. There are probably numerous engineering solutions that can work.

Top Bottom