• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Sun Visors , Sun Roof, Moon Roof, Glass Roof, Convertible?

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I saw the car at the mall in Braintree Ma.
the back seat appeared claustrophobic to me. I thought turning it into a convertible and having the top down would make this feeling go away.
anyone heard of possible moonroof option and possible cost
Mark & Squirrel, welcome to the forum where you can quickly find the answers to most of your questions by using its search function. If you can't find it just ask. We are a helpful friendly group and someone will know the answer or have an opinion. No option list has been announced and many will be offered by after market suppliers and not by Elio. There is a lot to learn about the Elio here on the forum. Enjoy the journey and the Elio experience.

Lil4X

Elio Addict
Reaction score
While an full-opening sunroof is probably not in the cards since there is a lateral structural member just at the driver's headrest, leaving no room for retracting an internal roof, it's possible that an external sliding roof could be fit. For simplicity, just a tilting roof should be adequate, as I've used them in several vehicles for years primarily in summer to quickly exhaust cabin air from a super-heated interior in summer. It also comes in handy in cool weather to provide draft-free ventilation. BUT there's a big problem with a moonroof that may not have occurred to folks who haven't owned a car with one: it badly needs a shade.

Without a sunshade, in brutally hot weather you are in a broiler. Even with a deeply tinted moonroof, you'll want to cover all but a half-inch of that glass roof to provide airflow out the tilted opening while keeping you in the shade. Once the AC is chilling the cabin nicely, you can push the shade back and enjoy the open feeling it provides. But there's another problem - that shade pushes back from the front - so it needs someplace to go behind it. Like finding a space for the glass panel to go, this presents a problem. That shade is usually insulated, so will require about a ¼" slot to retract into. That may not sound like much, but it's going to have to be below the crossbar on the ceiling above the headrest - which will eliminate the "pocket" above the driver's head that may be necessary for adequate headroom.

I once had a motorhome with a "Scenicruiser window" slightly aft and above the driver's seat. Its shade was simply a piece of curtain material with snaps that secured it when needed. Inelegant and 'way awkward, but effective.

EZ

Elio Addict
Reaction score
three wheelers

Attachments

• IMG_3729 3.JPG
    IMG_3729 3.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 343

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Convertible would be a big problem. Any convertible requires major strengthening of the frame . The ELIo appreas to be built in a way the enter frame/cage is necessary for it to work .

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen the glass roof that is mentioned on the web site as an option?

Moderator Comment: Merged into existing roof opening discussion
Options information is supposed to be released much closer to production. It is difficult to show something that doesn't yet exist but the suppliers are all aware of the design of the Elio so most likely are working on them or at least planning them. :-) Z

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've noticed in pictures of the Elio, the sun visor appears to be mounted like a typical automobile, so you can pivot it down if the sun is in front of you, or swivel it to the left if the sun on that side of you, but what if the sun is on the right side of you? Is there any way to block the sun from the right side?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I've noticed in pictures of the Elio, the sun visor appears to be mounted like a typical automobile, so you can pivot it down if the sun is in front of you, or swivel it to the left if the sun on that side of you, but what if the sun is on the right side of you? Is there any way to block the sun from the right side?

The sun visor in the P4 is borrowed from another vehicle so it is the normal design however it is my understanding that the visor on the final vehicle will be able to swing both ways. The P4 being a prototype has a lot of little details like this which will change by the time the vehicle reaches production.

zelio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The sun visor in the P4 is borrowed from another vehicle so it is the normal design however it is my understanding that the visor on the final vehicle will be able to swing both ways. The P4 being a prototype has a lot of little details like this which will change by the time the vehicle reaches production.
Very interesting question. I'm trying to visualize how they can resolve this issue without using two visors. I would love to be a fly on the wall during the discussions of this subject. You gentlemen can have your engines, I'll take the interior design details. :p :rolleyes: :) Z

Top Bottom