• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla Car Hacked At Pwn2own Contest

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Obviously there have been a few questionable Tesla accident...old news at best...

99% of all vehicle accidents can be blamed on inattentive driving...

Cell Phone’s are the biggest issue...

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Obviously there have been a few questionable Tesla accident...old news at best...

The National Safety Council reports that cell phone use while driving leads to 1.6 million crashes each year. Nearly 390,000 injuries occur each year from accidents caused by texting while driving.

At least Tesla is fixing the cell phone problem because you can sleep in your Tesla while it drives you around. So, talking on a cell phone, texting on a cell phone, typing with a 1930's era Underwood Typewriter or even writing out a letter longhand in calligraphy with a fountain pen is no longer an issue any more for Tesla owners. Only issue I can see is that Tesla needs to include a dash mounted typewriter holder, or at least offer it as an option.

As for those numbers, How many Teslas have been sold in the US since inception vs the amount of every other vehicle during that same period of time? I was under the impression that Tesla finally hit 200K or 250K a few months ago. Seems to me if 100% of the Tesla owners crashed their car right now it would not be any more than 200K vs if everyone crashed their Ford Truck. Maybe a percentage of people that crashed their Teslas vs percentage of people that crash any other vehicle due to cell phone use might make more sense as opposed to throwing out raw numbers.

TexasTesla

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are so many misperceptions about Tesla’s latest “ Enhanced Autopilot system”.

It does NOT operate the car autonomously.

It DOES require continual driver input.

If the system does not sense driver input...the system shuts down.

Not every Tesla even has the “Enhanced Autopilot system”... it’s a very expensive option.

Last edited:

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Good news is that I can still use a typewriter while driving a Tesla. I can bump the steering wheel with my knee and tap the pedals once in a while. Best part is, it’s legal and I won’t crash.

3wheelin

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There are so many misperceptions about Tesla’s latest “ Enhanced Autopilot system”.

Not every Tesla even has the “Enhanced Autopilot system”... it’s a very expensive option.

There's the technologically savy, there's the technologically challenged, the distracted and the drugged. We as humans keeps pushing the limits of what we're capable of doing hence accident happens. Case in point, those who had a few drinks and decided to drive thinks they're more aware and loose when under the influence. I've heard stories of those that buys a fully loaded car with all the gizmos and been driving it for a while yet still have to learn how some of the bottons work and are afraid to touch it!

RSchneider

Elio Addict
Reaction score
There's the technologically savy, there's the technologically challenged, the distracted and the drugged. We as humans keeps pushing the limits of what we're capable of doing hence accident happens. Case in point, those who had a few drinks and decided to drive thinks they're more aware and loose when under the influence. I've heard stories of those that buys a fully loaded car with all the gizmos and been driving it for a while yet still have to learn how some of the bottons work and are afraid to touch it!
I'm the most technically savvy person on the planet because i claim I am. With that, when i bought my VW, I sat outside of it and spent 2 hours reading the owners manual. Not that I needed to do that because I'm so superior but I did it because I was just bored.

With my boredom I discovered these things:
1. You can lower the rear floor 5" by taking out plastic spacers. It is not a flush rear floor then but gives you more storage.
2. With those plastic spacers in, if you want to take that shade (the one that covers up the goodies in the rear of the car) and put it somewhere that is still in the car, it has a nifty holder under the floor but in the spacers.
3. The jack and wheel changing stuff is in the LR of the car
4. The lane assist can be easily turned on and off with the steering wheel
5. The distance for the automatic cruise control can be changed easily by the steering wheel
6. The windshield wipers are hidden and impossible to change. A simple trick with the stalk will allow them to be moved into a position to change them easily and work great for when it's going to snow.
7. If the keyless fob battery is dead, you can easily pop off a cover by the drivers door handle, use the included key and manually open the door. Then place the key fob next to the steering column and then push the start button.
8. How to operate the self parking feature (I didn't even know it had that).
9. How to access the oil temp
10. How to make a custom setting for the driving dynamics.

So for a super smart person like me, who knew that I could learn from reading a book. I thought I knew it all.

Burg

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

Actually, any hi-tech vehicle can be hacked...

Of course you would say that. Your a Tesla Fanboy. Tesla can do you no wrong, right? As it has been widely reported, Tesla fans (owners) tend to look over the issues and swoon to the hype wave that is the Tesla Automobile. I think a more accurate review would be best given by a more objective driver. Sure, its a good car but please... just stop. :brick:

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm the most technically savvy person on the planet because i claim I am. With that, when i bought my VW, I sat outside of it and spent 2 hours reading the owners manual. Not that I needed to do that because I'm so superior but I did it because I was just bored.

With my boredom I discovered these things:
1. You can lower the rear floor 5" by taking out plastic spacers. It is not a flush rear floor then but gives you more storage.
2. With those plastic spacers in, if you want to take that shade (the one that covers up the goodies in the rear of the car) and put it somewhere that is still in the car, it has a nifty holder under the floor but in the spacers.
3. The jack and wheel changing stuff is in the LR of the car
4. The lane assist can be easily turned on and off with the steering wheel
5. The distance for the automatic cruise control can be changed easily by the steering wheel
6. The windshield wipers are hidden and impossible to change. A simple trick with the stalk will allow them to be moved into a position to change them easily and work great for when it's going to snow.
7. If the keyless fob battery is dead, you can easily pop off a cover by the drivers door handle, use the included key and manually open the door. Then place the key fob next to the steering column and then push the start button.
8. How to operate the self parking feature (I didn't even know it had that).
9. How to access the oil temp
10. How to make a custom setting for the driving dynamics.

So for a super smart person like me, who knew that I could learn from reading a book. I thought I knew it all.
Congrats! After reading your post, I’m passing this on to you! :)
8A536DEB-77DA-47CD-ABE5-BC4A2AC89B71.jpeg

Top Bottom