• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Tesla Gets Support From Federal Trade Commission

H2odog

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla Motors is fighting different states to be able to sell directly to consumers, but a group of officials from the Federal Trade Commission said removing those regulatory roadblocks would open new shopping options for consumers that are available in other industries.

The officials who voiced their personal support in a blog post are Andy Gavil, director of the Office of Policy Planning; Debbie Feinstein, the director of the Bureau of Competition; and Marty Gaynor, director of the Bureau of Economics. Their views do not necessarily represent the commission as a whole, they said.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has sought to keep its showrooms open in New York and New Jersey, while they are banned from states including Texas by laws that prevent automakers from selling cars to consumers outside of dealerships.

The electric car company sold just 22,000 autos out of the 15 million cars sold in the U.S. in 2013, which is not "a serious competitive threat to established dealers," but such "protectionist" laws could pose a threat to consumer options, the officials said.

The National Automobile Dealers Association supports the state laws intended to give shoppers more bargaining power at independent dealerships rather than at stores owned by automakers.

"Consumers routinely turn to the Internet as a convenient way to comparison shop and buy products and services," the FTC officials said in the blog post. "We hope lawmakers will recognize efforts by auto dealers and others to bar new sources of competition for what they are -- expressions of a lack of confidence in the competitive process that can only make consumers worse off."

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The National Auto Dealers Association is worried about the effect the more affordable Tesla Gen 3 with it's 200 mile range will have on their sales. The Tesla Gen 3 will take a huge market share from Big Auto and their dealerships.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be years before the Tesla is affordable to the general public. The Elio will sell far more vehicles per month than Tesla will sell in a year. Cost, convenience, efficiency, and economy win out every time

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
It will be years before the Tesla is affordable to the general public. The Elio will sell far more vehicles per month than Tesla will sell in a year. Cost, convenience, efficiency, and economy win out every time

The 2017 Tesla Gen3 /projected cost $35K /200 mile range/2x any other car is affordable for that class of vehicle. Definitely no competition for Elio. I think Tesla's Gen 3, proposed Battery MegaPlant, and charging stations worry Big Auto......so they are targeting Teslas's direct to consumer sales model.

I hope Elio's planned direct to consumer sales model......similar to Tesla's.............is not impacted directly by this new legislation because of Elio's Motorcycle Classification.

I'm thinking Tesla Owners may be Elio customers too..........not so much for the economics......but rather the fun ride.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla is a fantastic looking car and I'd loved to have one but not at the price they want. At this point I think it is purchased more for its status symbol than an environmentally friendly fuel efficient vehicle. Elio will be affordable for many more people like the volkswagan was for the German people or Henry Ford's model-T when they were first introduced

Craig

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Tesla is a fantastic looking car and I'd loved to have one but not at the price they want. At this point I think it is purchased more for its status symbol than an environmentally friendly fuel efficient vehicle. Elio will be affordable for many more people like the volkswagan was for the German people or Henry Ford's model-T when they were first introduced
Though I would never buy one, I sure wish I could afford one.

Rickb

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Agree! Except for status symbol, but rather Green, quality, and performance reasons....maybe a few status. My first car was a '59 VW during the Beetlemania Era............I feel Eliomania coming on with a strong roll out in 2015. VW's rollout sold 2 units at the first USA Dealership 65 years ago and then spread like wildfire as it became known as the peoples affordable car.

Last edited:
Top Bottom