• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Drive Train Seems Flimsy

aahz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Ericdp;
Do a little more research Before posting. I'm no engineer but the system designed into the Elio is (I'm sure) designed to take all the bumps and rocks thrown at it! It may look tiny but look at what it is moving.
The mass of said vehicle verses the weight and it is better than it need be. That's why it looks small. The whole thing is!
Welcome!!!
Try again...

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
When you consider Elio utilizes "off the shelf" components from cars that weigh at least twice as much and have at least twice the power it is actually over built. Wheel bearings, hubs, brake assemblies, halfshafts, clutch and transmission all are at least twice as robust as they need to be. Elio could have saved a lot of weight by redesigning these components to be more in line with what they actually need for a 1250 pound vehicle but it would be far more expensive than the use of "off the shelf" components.

TeamCoconutOreo

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The half-shafts and CV joints in the 2002 Ford Focus in my driveway are very similarly sized and have to handle twice the torque produced by the Elio.

It will be a mini-van in a supermarket parking lot that removes a wheel, not a rock.
I'm glad you brought up 2002 Focus. I supercharged mine, lowered the differencial gearing to 4.06/1 more than doubling the OEM torque and added sticky DOT legal road race tires. The OEM CV joints and drive shafts didn't fail during my 40,000 miles of abuse. Don't know how long they lasted for the second owner.

AriLea

Elio Addict
Reaction score
This thread looks kinda flimsy...
Sometimes this type of post is actually useful. Look at it this way, at least here there is a chance to address the concern logically.
And people do come here to get answers to questions like that.

That's a salesman's credo. These are not detriments. These are opportunities. They tell you what it takes to sell the idea. Satisfy the issues and vu-whalla, sale!

ericdp

Reaction score
I hope this is a legit thread... There seem to be a number of threads coming up from supposed long-time supporters who have something negative to say in their first and only post.

I apologize to the OP if I am wrong.

There's nothing flimsy-looking about the Elio drivetrain. It looks like a lot of small front-drive car setups. Things just tend to look more robust when they're covered in bodywork. For instance, rear bumpers look like part of the body, when (in most modern cars) they are just flimsy plastic shields with lots of empty space behind them. Still, modern cars tend to outperform older cars in collisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate your information. I am an Elio all-in guy and was just having bad memories of things that look too good etc. I am a legit customer and will post regularly tho' this is my first. Thanks All!

aahz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I appreciate your information. I am an Elio all-in guy and was just having bad memories of things that look too good etc. I am a legit customer and will post regularly tho' this is my first. Thanks All!

Good to go then! Hope to hear more from ya. We're all Elioers here, waiting patiently for our cruisers!
Well... Yeah, waiting patiently!!
:cool:

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent, he is a real person!
Hopefully the dialog has helped you to understand the depth of knowledge we have on this site; many of us have been here since the beginning and have micro analyzed the Elio about as thoroughly as possible; when we do hear a new concern, we do look at the possibilities.
I say we because everyone here has a common interest in the Elio.
We do poke fun at one another (some more than others) because we do have respect for one another of the knowledge and talent each of us bring to the table. <Does that read right? Still too early for me and I need a nap. If not, Ill fix it later>

Welcome to the forum from the Pacific NW.

Top Bottom