• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was thinking about the CVT and checked what I was thinking about; and I was right.

Nissan uses the CVT in a lot of it's cars now; actually it's a manual 5 or 6 speed or the CVT.
If it's so great, why don't they offer it in the Infinity line?
Both cars are Nissan; the Infinity's are the high end cars; they come with a 6 speed manual or a 7 speed Automatic.

Keeping that same line of thought;
Toyota offers the CVT in some of their low to mid-range cars, and the choice of a 5 or 6 speed manual.
Acura, which is also made by Toyota, offers a 6 speed manual or a 7 or 8 speed automatic.

Honda is doing the same thing with Acura.

So if the CVT is so great, why to these car companies only use them in their lower and mid range cars?

Ok new exception; the 2017 (or 2018) Infinity Hybrid is going to offer a CVT, coupled to a 4 speed automatic.
It's a new blended technology that still gives the ICE and 4 speed automatic and blend it into the CVT for the electric.
Want to guess how many bugs they're going to have to sort out there?

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
....Ok new exception; the 2017 (or 2018) Infinity Hybrid is going to offer a CVT, coupled to a 4 speed automatic.
It's a new blended technology that still gives the ICE and 4 speed automatic and blend it into the CVT for the electric.
Want to guess how many bugs they're going to have to sort out there?

So wait, you have an ICE engine AND an electric motor, that are both feeding power into a CVT/Automatic frankenstien transmission? Ew.

Well, I guess Einstien was right. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
All other things being equal, I'd take my single-motor, zero-transmission Leaf over a 2-motor, 2-transmission Infinity any day.

Folks

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So wait, you have an ICE engine AND an electric motor, that are both feeding power into a CVT/Automatic frankenstien transmission? Ew.

Well, I guess Einstien was right. "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
All other things being equal, I'd take my single-motor, zero-transmission Leaf over a 2-motor, 2-transmission Infinity any day.
I like moving to fewer moving part too. LOL That's why the trend to 3 cyl engines same as the Elio. By the way did anyone catch that post featuring Nissans latest 3 cyl engine?

Top Bottom