• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was there also, Mr. Vassilo did say it would be a 5 speed AMT made by the aisin? a Japanese company which also make them for Toyota..seems to be an improved version of the smart car type of AMT..

From Elio's site under IAV supplier:

"What does IAV supply to Elio Motors?

IAV is the engine designer for Elio Motors. They will design and develop the entire powertrain for the vehicle (engine, transmission, powertrain control system? Including performance, emissions, validation and endurance testing."

Ray

the above are just two of the seemingly conflicting post in this thread which dates back well over a year .... has anyone heard anything recently as to what automatic transmission will be used

Jim

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
the above are just two of the seemingly conflicting post in this thread which dates back well over a year .... has anyone heard anything recently as to what automatic transmission will be used

Jim
Perhaps there is a conflict if you expect all the items to be designed from the ground up. Using "off the shelf" items, perhaps some of the parts used to develop the system are already in production and could be used. If the new engine block mounts up to existing front wheel drive assembly that would still be considered development and only design element is the engine is designed to mount on an existing item.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
It would think the Smart car would be an idea place to look for an automatic. I can't think of better modern candidate. Smart has a very low vehicle weight, a 5 speed AMT, and predictable reliability of vehicles in normal service.

And Smart is already an IAV customer and perhaps IAV was the father of smart's AMT. :)

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
And Smart is already an IAV customer and perhaps IAV was the father of smart's AMT. :)

if the AMT in the Smart Car fits the prerequisites of EM and with IAV being familiar with it, I can see them going that way .... as noted, the key would be if it will mate up with the engine

Jim

RKing

Elio Addict
Reaction score
MAting to the engine is a bellhousing and pilot hole for imput shaft, could be specific . OR you could design the trans flange to fit the already idenified transmissions. I think the operative word for IAV involvement is powertrain design and integration. As controls engineers ,we design control systems by integrating different hardware components and writing sotware to operate the system. It is still my design, I just shortened the debug time by using prequalified components where possiable.

Top Bottom