• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Is there any info on the automatic transmission?

I test drove a Smart Car a few years ago that has a CVT (continuously variable transmission). The Smart CVT is totally unacceptable because it produces a pronounced 'lurch' when it shifts. I actually felt a bit motion sick from just a short test drive.

Pleeeeeease tell me the Elio will avoid that ?!?!

Good question. I've driven in automatic cars with a "lurch" when shifting and it was unbearable after about 30 seconds. While I'm sure the Elio will have some basic transmission (nothing special) I hope it's at least a smooth one.

Avards

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
The below is copied from Wikipedia. Jump to "Transmissions".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Fortwo

"The first and second generation Fortwo models employ an automated manual transmission, designed and manufactured by Getrag, where the clutch is computer controlled, eliminating the clutch pedal. The first generation used a six-speed version, and the second generation uses a five-speed version, model 5AMT130. Input from floor-mounted shifter or optional steering-wheel-mounted paddles controls a servo-operated clutch and sequential automated gearbox. The vehicle may be driven in automatic mode (early models had the option of full automatic mode, or standard "soft-tip" which was manual mode indicated by no button on the gear lever) or via paddle shifters, where the operator controls the shift points but cannot feather or adjust the speed of the clutch.

From 2009, revised transmission software enabled smoother and faster gear changes. The software, available via an ECU upgrade, was also made available for 2008 second generation cars, with a new battery as required.[19][20]

Third generation models receive a five-speed manual transmission or dual clutch automated manual transmission."

No CVT used.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the AMT in the Elio is built by Aisin, so there is sure to be differences between that and the Smartcar transmission, but the principle is the same. The paddle shifters are essentially just buttons that plug into the shift computer, so I don't see why it wouldn't be an option.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Well, the AMT in the Elio is built by Aisin, so there is sure to be differences between that and the Smartcar transmission, but the principle is the same. The paddle shifters are essentially just buttons that plug into the shift computer, so I don't see why it wouldn't be an option.

I hopefully agree :)

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My boss was moaning today about his Ford with an automated manual needing to get towed to the dealer for repair. Most of them work great when they do. Gets ugly fast when they don't.

Top Bottom