• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

TCBronson

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I got the survey too; it started out asking "what would you choose if the Auto was $1500"; third page "what would you choose if the Auto was $1200?"
Then on page 4 "what would you choose if the Auto was $1000" there were no choices or place for comment. Page 1 was "what tranny do you have in your current vehicle"
What ever happened to the MMT? I thought that was going to be the automatic.
I am thinking they sent out different survey's possibly. Mine was what trans do I have now, second questions was would I pay $1500, I said yes and that was the end of the survey. I don't want to pay $1500, but I do want an automatic. I would rather pay $1000 or less. If they have enough yes responses at the $1500 level, then that may be the price and they possibly make a larger profit margin on that one option than their 20% mark up???

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
My survey had three cost levels $1500, $1200 and $1000 and a comment section at the end and I stated if it was a true automatic with a torque converter and valve body I would buy it, but not knowing anything about an automatic manual transmission I would have to test drive one first and wait for feedback from other owners. If I had to make a choice today it would be a manual as I know how to shift a 5 speed.

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
I was more miffed when we heard that now cruise control was going to be an option when they have said all along that is was going to be standard.
PE also mentioned long ago that the automatic would be a $600 option.
Who is coming up with changing the program from the early days? Paul? Or one of his new hires/associates?

I've got some information hunting I have to go and do.

Kuda

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was more miffed when we heard that now cruise control was going to be an option when they have said all along that is was going to be standard.
Who is coming up with changing the program from the early days? Paul? Or one of his new hires/associates?

Too much Caffine is wearing him
down. He's losing his resolve......

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I do not want an automated manual transmission where I can feel the vehicle acceleration let up and resume when the computer is "pressing and releasing" the clutch. I would resent this feeling unless I am the one doing the shifting.

I would like a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) where there is no such feeling of a clutch and the engine is always at its optimal RPM, whether that be for economy or for acceleration.

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately my wife doesn't drive stick and refuses to learn, which is a good thing because she doesn't drive my 6-speed Veloster. I will have to opt for the auto on the Elio to keep peace in the house. I see that P4 has an auto in it, but it still does not have the IAV engine. I'm sure the auto came with the donor engine. We'll have to wait for the first P4 clone I guess.
I have the same situation, my wife does not and will not drive a manual transmission so I have to have an automatic. My survey only asked two questions; manual or automatic and would you pay $1500. Guess I'm screwed and Elio continues to frustrate those of us who believe in it and have spent our hard earned money on all-in reservations and stock

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score

and here I thought you had the inside track!

Dustman

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May I ask those who stated they only had the $1500 level question: you all chose the option "yes", you would pay $1500 for the automatic option? I think you only get the lower price (same question with a lower price point) when you say you would choose the manual at each question. Then, if you still choose "manual" at the $1000 level, you have the option to tell them why you still won't select the automatic.

Top Bottom