• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May I ask those who stated they only had the $1500 level question: you all chose the option "yes", you would pay $1500 for the automatic option? I think you only get the lower price (same question with a lower price point) when you say you would choose the manual at each question. Then, if you still choose "manual" at the $1000 level, you have the option to tell them why you still won't select the automatic.
I did, answered yes to 1,500 knowing no other option, and needing an A T

ross

Elio Addict
Reaction score
May I ask those who stated they only had the $1500 level question: you all chose the option "yes", you would pay $1500 for the automatic option? I think you only get the lower price (same question with a lower price point) when you say you would choose the manual at each question. Then, if you still choose "manual" at the $1000 level, you have the option to tell them why you still won't select the automatic.
As I understand it, it is not an automatic transmission it is a computer controlled manual transmission, it has a clutch and pressure plate as well as a computer actuated shift lever. Give me a torque converter and valve body and I'll pay their asking price, as I have no experience with such a configuration and know of no one who has, until I test drive this unit I'm going with a good old manual 5 speed, I know how to operate one of those and so does the wife. I'm 62 years old, have had both knees rebuilt and would much rather have a TRUE automatic tranny, but I feel I'm taking enough of a risk putting $2,000 down on two vehicles not to mention $10,000 in stock on a vehicle that hasn't even made production yet, to gamble on a transmission that to me is unproven technology.

Ekh

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I was more miffed when we heard that now cruise control was going to be an option when they have said all along that is was going to be standard.
PE also mentioned long ago that the automatic would be a $600 option.
Who is coming up with changing the program from the early days? Paul? Or one of his new hires/associates?

I've got some information hunting I have to go and do.
Sorry to disagree, but every time I've asked about this, cruise control was on the fence between standard and option. They never said is was standard, so far as I can recall. I don't mind paying for it. But the automatic price tag is flat out offensive.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry to disagreed, but every time I've asked about this, cruise control was on the fence between standard and option. They never said is was standard, so far as I can recall. I don't mind paying for it. But the automatic price tag is flat out offensive.

that has been my long standing recollection as well .... Paul has his "Must Haves" and so do we .... if we cannot get an automatic transmission (AMT) and OEM or aftermarket cruise control, we will not buy an Elio or any other street legal vehicle .... for us the question then boils down to are we willing to pay what they charge for those, and other, features

ImOnabus

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to disagreed, but every time I've asked about this, cruise control was on the fence between standard and option. They never said is was standard, so far as I can recall. I don't mind paying for it. But the automatic price tag is flat out offensive.

IIRC, the position was EM wanted to make cruise control standard, if it was possible at the $6800 price point. The AMT option was expected to add $800 to $1000 and I did not find either situation particularly unreasonable. Of course I would have liked to have cruise as standard - but holding the price is more important for the company's credibility, I think. As to the AMT, it adds a bit of hardware and electronics, and as vehicles used to be, it is an extra cost option. I think they will hurt themselves a bit if it climbs over $1000 though...

pistonboy

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I find it interesting we had only slightly greater than 24 hours to do the survey. Perhaps EM is at a crossroads and must make a difficult decision.

The Smart car started out with an AMT (Automated Manual Transmission) which is (of course) where a computer is operating a clutch and manual transmission for us. It produces the traditional shifting feel of manual transmissions, which the buying public did not like. Therefore Smart changed to a traditional automatic transmission, which is more expensive.

Perhaps EM is trying to decide if they should stick with the $600 AMT they originally planned, or switch to one of various traditional feel transmissions which cost $1000, $1200, or $1500 more. Hence the survey. (Perhaps the CVT is one of these choices. CVTs are used in US cars. The AMT is not.)

The AMT was a big flop with the Smart and EM may be trying to avoid it in advance.

They general public does not know the difference between AMT and traditional transmissions. EM may have avoiding explaining the differences in these transmissions in the email because it would only be confusing to the general public. (Our group is more technically minded than the general public.)

Of course, this is an idea and only speculation (which is fun).

Top Bottom