• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score

DigitalDan

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
Speaking of tranny's, I just spotted one in the men's room. This crap is really getting out of hand...
IMG_3868.JPG

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I am waiting to see what the shift is like

Me too. One vehicle I have makes funny noises sometimes when it shifts but the tranny shop swears there's nothing wrong. The other one lurches big time on a lot of shifts (usually on gears 1-3) and it's a weird feeling that I'm not a fan of. So hopefully the one in the Elio is completely smooth and quiet. (Both vehicles are autos and I want an auto elio)

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
Me too. One vehicle I have makes funny noises sometimes when it shifts but the tranny shop swears there's nothing wrong. The other one lurches big time on a lot of shifts (usually on gears 1-3) and it's a weird feeling that I'm not a fan of. So hopefully the one in the Elio is completely smooth and quiet. (Both vehicles are autos and I want an auto elio)
I'd love to go back to a stick (manual) but I have doubt that my left leg would be able to handle a stop and go situation.
I suffer from nerve damage in both legs from the knees down; and while I could probably manage a few shifts, a stop and go could end up a stop, go try to stop <crunch> not being able to fully depress the clutch.

Just like the automatic, it's one of those items I have to try to see how my body gets along with it.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the auto tranny will have a manual option ?? Not necessarily paddle shifters (however, THAT would be nice), but at least shift with the stick ???

I too have knee problems these days, and need the auto but still like to "bang the gears" :D

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the auto tranny will have a manual option ?? Not necessarily paddle shifters (however, THAT would be nice), but at least shift with the stick ???

I too have knee problems these days, and need the auto but still like to "bang the gears" :D

The AMT has a "manual mode" where you can wiggle the stick between "+" and "-" to change gears up and down. But the computer is still doing the shifting for you, in it's own way, so you still don't have the same level of control that a true manual offers.

Personally, I'm fine with that. I'd much rather blame the shifing computer for burning up the clutch, then blame my own bad habits :p

Top Bottom