• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Since an automated manual transmission can shift without any input from the driver (other than stepping on the accelerator), it is by definition an automatic transmission. It may not fit the classic description of an automatic transmission (with torque converter, etc.), but that doesn't mean there's only one way to design a transmission that shifts by itself. Indeed, a CVT is, by definition, an automatic transmission, and there are other types of automatic transmissions beyond the "classic" version.
By that logic, which makes sense actually, ALL transmissions in use right now are manual. You have to take them out of park or neutral manually.
It seems Manual Transmissions have a direct connection with the engine and wheels where an Automatic Transmission uses some kind of viscous coupling (fluid). Thus, the Automated Manual Transmission is a bit of both... On one hand, it shifts gears like an automatic in that it doesn't require driver intervention. On the other hand, it connects to the engine like a manual transmission.

wizard of ahs

Elio Addict
Reaction score
SAT = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-automatic_transmission
MMT = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multimode_manual_transmission
AMT = https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-AMT-cars-and-automatic-cars

<Note AMT and MMT are pretty much the same thing, the AMT also includes the difference between the AMT and the Automatic>

There's your book definitions, fight it out from there.

Tomato, Tomahto.
All good information via those links though.
Glad we got that sorted out.
Next topic.
Nuff said :p

raybonz

Elio Addict
Reaction score
And there is maintenance on a CVT; plus it doesn't use a normal automatic transmission fluid, there is a special fluid they use that is at least twice as expensive.
upload_2016-8-10_18-4-51.png

From owners manual for my 2106 Subaru Legacy.. 08 Sentra same thing.. I am well aware of the special fluid however I have never needed any so I don't know what it costs..

Ray

Coss

Staff member
Reaction score
View attachment 10956
From owners manual for my 2106 Subaru Legacy.. 08 Sentra same thing.. I am well aware of the special fluid however I have never needed any so I don't know what it costs..
Ray
30K.... change cvt fluid. How many quarts?
A Ford van that belongs to the VA only has 4 shift positions PRND
Wizard of Ahhs said it best in post #1020
http://www.elioowners.com/threads/the-elio-automatic-transmission.124/page-102#post-157956

Tranny Discussion.gif

And with that in mind, lets end the current discussion that has taken up the last 3 pages.

No one will win, and no one will lose / Everyone is right, and Every one is Wrong

Pick which ever side you want because it all ends up the same.

NEXT!!!

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any guesses as to if/when we'll get to drive both versions of the Elio? They said they were planning on touring so people could test drive the AMT at least in order to be able to make a decision before having to place their order.

Sethodine

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Any guesses as to if/when we'll get to drive both versions of the Elio? They said they were planning on touring so people could test drive the AMT at least in order to be able to make a decision before having to place their order.

Well, they say the E1C will be used for "marketing purposes" which to me indicates that it will be a drivable production vehicle for tours and journalists. If they do start holding drive events, then I imagine they would want the AMT in it so that the majority of drivers who can't operate a manual will be able to test it out.

Top Bottom