• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
A 180lb. Rottweiller in the back seat should do the trick!
beware.jpg

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new type transmissions they are using ,like the ones in our Fords are different. They do not use the old Torque converter. Ours are 6 speeds.
They are basically Manual transmissions that use a clutch pack. They work but take a bit of getting use to. They provided better fuel economy and more power to the wheels.
The one in my car has the option to shift with and electric button through all the gears or just stick it in drive and go.
It will be interesting to drive our first ELIO.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The new type transmissions they are using ,like the ones in our Fords are different. They do not use the old Torque converter. Ours are 6 speeds.
They are basically Manual transmissions that use a clutch pack. They work but take a bit of getting use to. They provided better fuel economy and more power to the wheels.
The one in my car has the option to shift with and electric button through all the gears or just stick it in drive and go.

Ferrari has been using them since 1997 in road cars. They aren't new just the tech hasn't really trickled down to cheaper cars untill the last number of years.

The elio will use the single clutch system not the dual clutch system.

Sam

Elio Addict
Reaction score

I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta with the same setup. Like you say, it takes a little getting used to. Now it's just drive and forget. I use the manual very little, only in town. Not in that big of a hurry to get from stoplight to the next anymore.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Ford Fiesta with the same setup. Like you say, it takes a little getting used to. Now it's just drive and forget. I use the manual very little, only in town. Not in that big of a hurry to get from stoplight to the next anymore.

Other than to try it I have only used the manual in snow to get going. Took the goofy factory tires off right away and the make snow easy to deal with,
no longer need to use the manual

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
during a conversation earlier today with Jerome Vassallo, VP of Sales at the Elio exhibit on 12-6-14 in Charlotte, NC I was told that Elio will be using an AMT from Aisin (sp?) the same corporation that provides AMT's to Toyota and other manufactures .... they do not make the AMT used in the Smart Car

Jim

Last edited:

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Anyone know if the "automatic" feature can be an upgrade to the manual transmission? I recall reading that its the same transmission, but the AMT has an additional set of controls that make it more automatic. So is the automatic tranny an additioanl bolt-on feature, and could it be added later, or is it a factory only option?

Kronos

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Anyone know if the "automatic" feature can be an upgrade to the manual transmission? I recall reading that its the same transmission, but the AMT has an additional set of controls that make it more automatic. So is the automatic tranny a bolt-on, and could it be added later, or is it a factory only option?

As I understood it, it'll be pretty much a factory-only option. Whether you could bolt on some parts to convert a manual to an automatic later seems unlikely, but I don't know. Probably someone would have a better idea than me. Either way it'd probably be far more efficient to choose either a manual or automatic from the start, rather than convert later on, due to the labor of installation.

Smitty901

Elio Addict
Reaction score
during a conversation earlier today with Jerome Vassallo, VP of Sales at the Elio exhibit on 12-6-14 in Charlotte, NC I was told that Elio will be using an AMT from Aisan Corporation .... they provide AMT's to Toyota and other manufactures .... they do not make the AMT used in the Smart Car

Jim
Good news as the Smart car was rated again a dumb car and on the list of 15 cars not to buy. Transmission was one of the many defects

Last edited:

Jeff Bowlsby

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If we understood how it worked the answer may be more obvious but that is not the case at the moment. I understand (which could be flawed), that the "automatic" function is simply some solenoids and switches that change gears...sound too simple, it must be more than that. Probably some circuitry and of course the shift lever and trim would be different.

Top Bottom