• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

karl

Elio Addict
Reaction score
If we understood how it worked the answer may be more obvious but that is not the case at the moment. I understand (which could be flawed), that the "automatic" function is simply some solenoids and switches that change gears...sound too simple, it must be more than that. Probably some circuitry and of course the shift lever and trim would be different.
And there is no clutch pedal. What you see looks like a conventional automatic. I own a smart and like the gearbox.

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Jeff--- I understand how the AMT works and your right, there is a lot more to it. The X plane, Y plane shift actuators are probably the simplest part of the whole mechanism. Speed sensors on the gears, even sensors to monitor engagement lug positions on individual gears. A control module decides when to clutch, interrupt fuel flow or blip the throttle to shift up or down. In a conventional automatic the torque converter absorbs a lot of the shock of shifting. Not so with with an AMT so they tend to be a little more clunky in operation. At light throttle the control module sometime seems unsure of just what gear it needs to be in.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Good news as the Smart car was rated again a dumb car and on the list of 15 cars not to buy. Transmission was one of the many defects

apparently EM looked at the one in the Smart Car .... I was told they didn't pick it and the one they are going to use has a much smoother operation

Jim

skygazer6033

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I seem to recall the Smart transmission is a Getrag or ZF. They have a reputation of being clunky. When in automatic mode I think a lot of the roughness can be smoothed out just by learning when it shifts and easing the throttle just as you hit shift RPM. Both the Smart and the Elio having less mass would make the rough shifting feel even more pronounced. Hopefully the Aisin design transmission will be smoother.

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe the Maruti Suzuki transmission described is very much like the AMT that is expected to be in the Elio.

Earlier this year Jerome Vassallo told us they were looking at using the Aisin manual transmission and either using the same system as the Maruti Suzuki Celario or one that is very similar to it as he told us to look up that vehicle.

There was some conflicting information on the transmission which came out of the Charlotte showing this week and I unfortunately did not get a chance to ask about it so hopefully over the next few weeks some of you all can get us good information directly from Jerome about this.

Joshua Caldwell

Staff member
Reaction score
Excerpts from 3 websites reviewing the mentioned transmission.....

The Alto has always been a fun car to drive and adding the AMT transmission has only made it better.

The USP now is really the automated-manual transmission and Maruti expects a large chunk of sales to be generated by the AMT variant. It certainly is a smart move to take the Celerio's AMT and tune it to match the Alto engine. The gearbox is responsive in city driving and does perform well in traffic. The manual, on the other hand, felt like it could do with slightly more punch in the first gear.

----------------

Getting hold of the AMT automatic version immediately I immersed myself into a traffic jam which would be the natural habitat of the new Alto K10. First impressions are very postive with the smoothened out gear changes feeling much better than the Celerio. It is pretty responsive and jerk free. As you might know it has R, N and D modes with manual mode also there.

At low speeds to move in traffic it is responsive and you if want that instant bit of performance you can use manual mode which gives you control over the gears and allows you to select a lower gear.

------------------

The shift quality isn’t superb or immediate but its comfortable enough without being intrusive. In urban crawl speeds the shift quality is seamless and there really isn’t much to complain about. As speeds increase and you need quicker movement between the gears the shifts are perceptible and with a fraction of a seconds lag.

Top Bottom