• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

Jim H

Elio Addict
Reaction score
its reasonable to believe that the uncertainty of just how an Elio will handle the stresses you mention would prompt EM to not recommend towing with their trike .... proper use of trailer brakes an assist in overcoming a jackknife situation .... I have little doubt that it will take very long for numbers of folks to modify their Elio to tow a trailer and we will get some real world info .... as noted, I do agree that it will be important for the trailers to be well balanced/weighted

Jim
upload_2014-12-9_17-30-52.png

Sounds like a Microsoft release. Release it and let the users find the problems and then they will fix them. Cheaper for them that way

MajorXx

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
I am thinking about something along these lines as they can easily be built yourself or this one is actually available at Harbor Freight for under $400:
View attachment 3800
http://www.harborfreight.com/600-lb-capacity-78-inch-tag-along-trailer-66771.html

This carrier is only three feet wide on this one which should minimize the aerodynamic impact of pulling a trailer and it weighs just under 150 lbs empty which I would estimate gives me about 100-150 pounds of useful payload capacity while also keeping the total weight down to a very safe level for good handling.

Some bigger wheels and tires than provided on this trailer would probably would be beneficial for extended touring.

The biggest question I have is trailer brakes as they could be really handy to help steady that single undriven rear tire while braking. If so some electric brakes could be fitted relatively easily and inexpensively to a basic trailer, likely for under $200 in parts on the trailer side then you would need a trailer brake controller and wiring on the tow vehicle side which could cost up to another $200.

I know a good deal about trailers from my business working on trailers however @JEBar worked in the RV field for years and likely has a lot more insight into this area than I do.

But don't even think about trying to back up with a trailer so short. It will be like pushing a rope.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The advantage of backing a trailer with the Elio is in it's narrow tail. While backing a short coupled trailer is tricky at best at least you can see both sides of it and react accordingly.

with no back window folks who can't back a trailer using just the vehicle's mirrors will have some serious practice in store

Jim

Top Bottom