• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been digging around for information about the Aisin AMT which is what we have been told EM is looking at now and believe we do have the two model numbers for the Aisin manual and automated manual. These were mentioned elsewhere in this thread as well however it does not hurt to make this information available. The Aisin BC5 is the least expensive 5-speed transverse front wheel drive in their catalog and the Aisin MC5 is its derivative automated manual.

The MC5 is sold by Toyota as its "Multimode Manual Transmission" and in recent years has also been advertised as the "X-shift automatic". This transmission is, or has been, used in the Aygo, Yaris, Corolla, Corolla Verso and Auris in Europe. This transmission should not be confused with Multimode Automatic Transmission which is offered in the North American market by Toyota.

I found this decent article with an overview of how Toyota's Multimode Manual Transmission operates:

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/toyota-multi-mode-transmission-design-and-function

From what I can find the reviews from the early vehicles which had these transmissions, dating back to 2002, were not so great as their behavior was a bit unpredictable however over the years the software and hardware does appear to have been much improved especially in the latest generation of Toyota Aygo/Citroën C1/Peugeot 108 city cars.

The biggest complaint I find is that under heavy acceleration up-shifts can occur later than most people would want and happen slowly. This can be overcome by lifting the accelerator peddle a bit whenever you wish to shift which will cause the vehicle to up-shift. This does appear to be the common trick to improving up-shifts in most single-clutch AMT's regardless of brand and is apparently something people who own these vehicles adapt to quickly. Several different reviews I read said the city driving behavior was just fine so this transmission does apparently do a good job there.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I found this decent article with an overview of how Toyota's Multimode Manual Transmission operates:

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/toyota-multi-mode-transmission-design-and-function

thanks for doing so much research .... I read the article but its written on a technical level that is way above my pay grade :confused:

Several different reviews I read said the city driving behavior was just fine so this transmission does apparently do a good job there.

thanks again for condensing the whole thing to a level I can deal with .. :)

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been digging around for information about the Aisin AMT which is what we have been told EM is looking at now and believe we do have the two model numbers for the Aisin manual and automated manual. These were mentioned elsewhere in this thread as well however it does not hurt to make this information available. The Aisin BC5 is the least expensive 5-speed transverse front wheel drive in their catalog and the Aisin MC5 is its derivative automated manual.

The MC5 is sold by Toyota as its "Multimode Manual Transmission" and in recent years has also been advertised as the "X-shift automatic". This transmission is, or has been, used in the Aygo, Yaris, Corolla, Corolla Verso and Auris in Europe. This transmission should not be confused with Multimode Automatic Transmission which is offered in the North American market by Toyota.

From what I can find the reviews from the early vehicles which had these transmissions, dating back to 2002, were not so great as their behavior was a bit unpredictable however over the years the software and hardware does appear to have been much improved especially in the latest generation of Toyota Aygo/Citroën C1/Peugeot 108 city cars.

The biggest complaint I find is that under heavy acceleration up-shifts can occur later than most people would want and happen slowly. This can be overcome by lifting the accelerator peddle a bit whenever you wish to shift which will cause the vehicle to up-shift. This does appear to be the common trick to improving up-shifts in most single-clutch AMT's regardless of brand and is apparently something people who own these vehicles adapt to quickly. Several different reviews I read said the city driving behavior was just fine so this transmission does apparently do a good job there.

In the UK this transmission is currently being sold by Toyota as a £500 GBP option which would be about $775 USD.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
The first 4,000 deliveries will be the Elio Alpha. The next 4,000 deliveries will be the Elio Beta. I'm at 8,415 and part of the Elio 1.0 crowd.
On another thread EM talked about line production identifiers/markers, and did mention that the first 4k will be Alpha, the next 4k will be betas, but at 8,414, they would be shutting down the line for a week(or 10 days)-I don't remember exactly, to check/adjust all the robotics, and welding equipment.
So you hit it right on- you will be the first 1.0 sorry for your delay

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score
The first 4,000 deliveries will be the Elio Alpha. The next 4,000 deliveries will be the Elio Beta. I'm at 8,415 and part of the Elio 1.0 crowd.
On another thread EM talked about line production identifiers/markers, and did mention that the first 4k will be Alpha, the next 4k will be betas, but at 8,414, they would be shutting down the line for a week(or 10 days)-I don't remember exactly, to check/adjust all the robotics, and welding equipment.
So you hit it right on- you will be the first 1.0 sorry for your delay

All of this will likely happen quite fast with the alpha and beta stages not indicative of engineering changes but instead denote how much pre and post build inspection will occur on these vehicles as they move down the line and after they are completed. Minor tweaks to how things are assembled will be occurring during this period to improve line efficiency, resolve any build issues discovered, as well as develop the standardized post-build checklists which will be used after this period.

From what Jerome told us in Charlotte the plan is to average about 150 per day/shift in the first month which is would mean about 3000 vehicles produced in the first month then they expect about 250 average per day/shift in the second month which is about 5000 vehicles. This puts 8,000 vehicles being produced after only about 8-9 weeks of production. After this period the line increases to reach 350 per day/shift, about 7000 vehicles per month, where it will supposedly stay through the reservation build period. The full production goal is 500 per day/shift which is about 10K per month at full volume per shift and the plant can double this with two shifts thereby reaching 250K per year.

Last edited:

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
From what Jerome told us in Charlotte the plan is to average about 150 per day/shift in the first month which is would mean about 3000 vehicles produced in the first month then they expect about 250 average per day/shift in the second month which is about 5000 vehicles. This puts 8,000 vehicles being produced after only about 8-9 weeks of production. After this period the line increases to reach 350 per day/shift, about 7000 vehicles per month, where it will supposedly stay through the reservation build period. The full production goal is 500 per day/shift which is about 10K per month at full volume per shift and the plant can double this with two shifts thereby reaching 250K per year.

at that rate it will take them about 6.5 months to reach 40,000 .... this type of info can really help folks to plan which level of reservation will most likely deliver their Elio in whatever time frame best meets their needs

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

Edward

Elio Addict
Reaction score
at that rate it will take them about 6.5 months to reach 40,000 .... this type of info can really help folks to plan which level of reservation will most likely deliver their Elio in whatever time frame best meets their needs

Jim
As someone who has been concerned about the production timeline (Elio will be replacing my Cirrus, and it's already in the final stages of its life), this does help.

Top Bottom