• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Automatic Transmission

ScarecrowRepair

Elio Aficionado
Reaction score
Just about all AMT's now have a variation of 'creep mode' which is essentially a partially engaged clutch. The article I have linked to gives a nice general overview of the operation of Toyota’s Multi-Mode transmission (MMT). This transmission is the Aisin MC5 entry level AMT which is the same transmission EM has said they will be using.

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/toyota-multi-mode-transmission-design-and-function
Good link, thanks; if you posted it previously, sorry I missed it. It does have an interesting typo of sorts:
The MMT is an attempt to provide a small, efficient automatic transmission with all the energy-sapping complexity of the previously mentioned hydramatic derivatives.
I think they meant "without"....
The only advantage I see to an automatic is to eventually allow a self-driving mode (I expect there *may* be aftermarket kits in 5-10 years, suitable for most modern-ish cars). Commute driving and freeway cruising makes no difference to me, auto or manual; it's back roads and my home dirt road where I detest automatics, but this sounds like it just might be a good compromise, even if it does cost more. The clutch slipping isn't described very well:
When the brake pedal is not depressed and 1st, 2nd or reverse is selected, the clutch is halfengaged, even if the accelerator pedal is not depressed.
How would you control the creep speed? It might be worth finding a US car with this tranny to see how that works. But it ultimately comes down to the Elio version and how it works.

BlioKart

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I've never driven an AMT. I googled and read a bit, and find the mystery was half from not knowing the jargon (dual clutches, etc).

One thing I could find noething about was about slow speeds and slipping the clutch. For instance, in stop and ccrawl commute traffic, sometimes I will leave the gas pedal alone and ease the clutch up just a bit to barely engage and creep forward. Or when driving up the dirt road I live on, sometimes I will slip the clutch to slow down over water ditches and other bumps.

With regular automatic that's no problem either. But an AMT with no clutch -- how do you drive below idle, so slow that if everything were fully engaged, the engine would stall?

goofyone

Staff member
Reaction score

Just as an FYI... The Suzuki Celerio uses a bolt on AMT system produced by the Italian firm, and part of the Fiat group, Magneti Marelli. Magneti Marelli is a good firm and these are good videos of their AMT system which EM was seriously considering using until sometime in mid 2014 before EM decided to move towards the Aisin solution.

'lio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Just about all AMT's now have a variation of 'creep mode' which is essentially a partially engaged clutch. The article I have linked to gives a nice general overview of the operation of Toyota’s Multi-Mode transmission (MMT). This transmission is the Aisin MC5 entry level AMT which is the same transmission EM has said they will be using.

http://pmmonline.co.uk/technical/toyota-multi-mode-transmission-design-and-function

That's the same one that you were talking about in your post about the Citroën C1, Peugeot 108 and Toyota Aygo? your post: The Elio Standard Transmission

If so, that transmission seems decent nowadays, there isn't really anything too negative in the European press about it and the fuel economy with the AMT automatic is very close to the manual version in these cars.

The late shifting occurs also on any number of conventional automatics, my guess is if they would engineer it to shift sooner, people might complain about a sluggish car.

Last edited:

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
BlioKart, Thanks. This is the first time I have seen the second video which clearly demonstrates the differences.
Great... Now I'm thinking I may want to try the AMT just to see how it does. At some point, I may want the wife to drive it and though she has a motorcycle license AND her first car (truck, actually) was a manual, she doesn't want to drive a stick... hmm... maybe that's a reason TO buy the stick version... shhh.

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great... Now I'm thinking I may want to try the AMT just to see how it does. At some point, I may want the wife to drive it and though she has a motorcycle license AND her first car (truck, actually) was a manual, she doesn't want to drive a stick... hmm... maybe that's a reason TO buy the stick version... shhh.

that could be a good reason to buy 2 ...:cool:

Top Bottom