• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Mark327

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Referencing back a couple of post, I believe the all alum eng will be a winner.
It's the Flame Spray thing that will make or break the design. That's the only really 'new technology' here.
OK, not exactly 'brand new' but for the level of vehical, yes.
I too, hope down the road, a Turbo. Possibly a DOHC\4V head to boot.
But, a DIESEL, would be interesting. Could that break the 100\MPG barrier?

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Referencing back a couple of post, I believe the all alum eng will be a winner.
It's the Flame Spray thing that will make or break the design. That's the only really 'new technology' here.
OK, not exactly 'brand new' but for the level of vehical, yes.
I too, hope down the road, a Turbo. Possibly a DOHC\4V head to boot.
But, a DIESEL, would be interesting. Could that break the 100\MPG barrier?
A diesel would surely add the low end grunt that you need to make a commuter car more efficient in the city. They are typically a lot heavier though and more expensive to maintain which offsets most of their advantage (At least in my truck). I've seen where there is a diesel/gas hybrid where they found a way to get a gasser to diesel. That is, to autoignite at higher pressure without the pre-detonation which plagues higher compression gassers. THAT engine wouldn't be as heavy or require the level of maintenance diesels to. Plus, they would start a lot better in colder climates.

Mark327

Elio Fan
Reaction score
Most all Diesels are Iron block (there's your weight) and iron or alum head. I dono of an alum block diesel - yet.
If the design guys had a possible future diesel in mind, (requiring much higher cylinder pressures)
then this is a true possibility.
But I'll be happy with a black 5\spd when they arrive... :)

JEBar

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Most all Diesels are Iron block (there's your weight) and iron or alum head. I dono of an alum block diesel - yet.
If the design guys had a possible future diesel in mind, (requiring much higher cylinder pressures)

I'm not a mechanic or automotive engineer .... nor do I play one on TV ....

statement, I've always heard that diesel motors required stronger blocks than gasoline motors .... once GM tried to convert one of their gasoline 350's to a diesel .... I don't recall it working too well ... the reason I've always heard centered around high compression ratios needed in a diesel .....

question, the IAV motor is supposed to have around a 12:1 compression ratio .... would this IAV aluminum block lend itself to a diesel conversion

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I'm with you. I'll just be happy to not have to drive my 16mpg diesel 44 miles a day! Well, I'm not exactly with you... I'm thinking about getting an orange one.

Ty

Elio Addict
Reaction score
TY-
I'm commuting 110 miles\day.
2012 Impala 3.6 is getting 27ish mpg. Three fill-ups, a week. Already have 80k racked up....
84mpg would be better! Heck even a real-world 70mpg woudl be cool.
I hear you!
Truck = 44 miles/16mpg = 2.75 gallons per day... X 5 = 13.75 gallons per week = $34.38/wk... (diesel is $2.50/gal)
Elio = 44 miles/75mpg = 0.59 gallons per day... X 5 = 2.93 gallons per week = $5.69 /wk... (regular is $1.94/gal)

Saving $28. 69 per week, $115 per month. Well, that isn't QUITE the car payment but it is close. Okay, a $5,500 loan ($1,500 already down)would run me $118/mo for 48 months...

Now, if diesel jumps back up to $4.00/gal.. That's a no-brainer! The Elio, even without being able to completely offset it's expenses, will still keep mileage off my truck and (at least a little) money out of the mideast.

Top Bottom