• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Here's the path to that document via the website.
Click on "features" in the top toolbar.
Scroll down to, and click on, "Download Elio Specs PDF".

So, to my knowledge it's the only mention of a HP spec on the site.

However...
The "Document Properties" of the PDF reveal:
Created: 8/22/2014 4:43:12 PM
Modified: 8/22/2014 4:43:31 PM

Last edited:

Elio Amazed

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I haven't gotten that email recently either Willie.
Though I could swear that I got one with that title last year.

There have been times that I've gotten "lost" phone messages and emails months after they were sent.
Could you copy paste?

Adamant

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is supposed to make the Elio engine so great? As many other people have posted, there are engines out there of similar size but a lor more powerful. Is it not possible to make the Elio motor more powerful, but with the same MPG?

Gas-Powered Awesome

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is supposed to make the Elio engine so great? As many other people have posted, there are engines out there of similar size but a lor more powerful.
Don't take this the wrong way, but the question has been asked and answered 100 times already. The short answer is no existing engine was designed for the operating envelope (torque and power) required by a low-drag, 1200 lb, ultra-efficient three wheeler. Anything existing even in the same ballpark would have to be sourced from competitors who would prioritize their own needs over Elio's. In summary: Purpose-built and in control of their own destiny.

If you want more a more detailed answer read the 1672 posts that precede yours, and/or follow the link in my signature to read why directly from Elio. They've posted an explanation on their own blog several times.

Cache Man

Elio Addict
Reaction score
What is supposed to make the Elio engine so great? As many other people have posted, there are engines out there of similar size but a lor more powerful. Is it not possible to make the Elio motor more powerful, but with the same MPG?
The old analogy is... If you have the horses you have to feed them. More horses equals more "hay" consumed. With new technology the horses have become smaller and so they eat less. We can use smaller horses because the carts are lighter and small they are pulling. The horse more efficient.

Okay. Enough with the horses. The bottom line is the engines perform based on multiple items like the single or dual valve cams, valve lifters, crank (crank cam) duration/dwell/lift, compression ratio, timing belt or chain, piston stroke, etc.. EM was planning on using the Chevy Metro engine but is has older technology and was setup for a different torque and power ban (range) related to RPMs and car weight/drag. So all the really nice engines out there (as you mentioned and there are some really nice ones) are great but not for the Elio.

RUCRAYZE

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Don't take this the wrong way, but the question has been asked and answered 100 times already. The short answer is no existing engine was designed for the operating envelope (torque and power) required by a low-drag, 1200 lb, ultra-efficient three wheeler. Anything existing even in the same ballpark would have to be sourced from competitors who would prioritize their own needs over Elio's. In summary: Purpose-built and in control of their own destiny.

If you want more a more detailed answer read the 1672 posts that precede yours, and/or follow the link in my signature to read why directly from Elio. They've posted an explanation on their own blog several times.
I too noticed the questioning that ant posts. Not sure of the motive, but in good faith people respond as if this was his first day on the board. I get the impression he is "casting" and see who nibbles, time will tell-for now I'll wait and see but not bite

Top Bottom