• Welcome to Elio Owners! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

The Elio Engine

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
Writeup on the P-4 version refers to a ""donor"" engine. Why is the IAV engine not to be installed in this latest ELIO? Without the final engine in place, it is not practicle to determine actual mileage capabilities of this vehicle---or is it? RB

NRB

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I just want to see the IAV engine installed in an ELIO, hear it crank and run thru the gears---not some rebuilt junk yard GE METRO engine that will not be used in the final product. Lets go folks, if it is ready lets use it so actual performance and projected mileage goals can be certified!

Proud to be

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, just what engine is going to be in the first production model Elio's, the one's that the "All in" group gets before the general public gets to order?

Paul Elio stated in a talk that people who placed $1000 down would get a Elio in the fall of 2014 and the rest of the "All in" group would get theirs in the 2 quarter of 2015, just before the public gets to buy...

So does the first group get one donor engine, and the rest get the motor designed for the Elio...

I would like the motor that is designed for the Elio, not for some other vehicle.... I guess we wait and see...

jtmarten

Elio Addict
Reaction score
I received an email yesterday from Elio Marketing Tech Talk regarding the IAV engine. 3cyl, 2v/cyl, SOHC, equal length intake runners, high compression, sequential port fuel injection, 2-step VVT, and friction reducing attributes to increase power delivery and fuel economy. 60hp, 55lbs/ft tq.
If the CR is high enough, it may not be a suitable candidate for a small turbo unless used at low pressure (5-6psi).

Frank Smith

Elio Fan
Reaction score
I just want to see the IAV engine installed in an ELIO, hear it crank and run thru the gears---not some rebuilt junk yard GE METRO engine that will not be used in the final product. Lets go folks, if it is ready lets use it so actual performance and projected mileage goals can be certified!
It is not ready at this time.

Double D in Ohio

Elio Addict
Reaction score
So, just what engine is going to be in the first production model Elio's, the one's that the "All in" group gets before the general public gets to order?

Paul Elio stated in a talk that people who placed $1000 down would get a Elio in the fall of 2014 and the rest of the "All in" group would get theirs in the 2 quarter of 2015, just before the public gets to buy...

So does the first group get one donor engine, and the rest get the motor designed for the Elio...

I would like the motor that is designed for the Elio, not for some other vehicle.... I guess we wait and see...
That is one of the reasons not to go all in for 1000 until they get closer to production. let them work out the Kinks in the 1st couple thousand...then I'll take mine! Also you can upgrade at anytime if things look like they are going smoothly. Double D in Ohio

ccryder

Elio Enthusiast
Reaction score
There s/b no issue with an AL block with a synergistic thermal coating for long life and great MPG! For good power, long life and great MPG it's a balance of friction, thermal and combustion efficiency in engine design. Add 3 wheels, low weight, and aerodynamics to the mix can enable the 84 MPG.

Neil S

Top Bottom